Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?

Go down 
+5
Madison
BMG
flannel
KK
c/thru
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Empty
PostSubject: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Losing Money Isn't the U.S. Postal Service's Only Problem

By BRUCE WATSON
Posted 5:30 PM 03/02/10
Economy, UPS, Federal Express, Retail

While your mailman may brave rain, snow and dark of night to deliver your mail during the week,
it's looking like he'll spend Saturdays watching cartoons.
Faced with an estimated $7 billion shortfall in 2010, the United States Postal Service (USPS)
is contemplating radical cuts that would slow down service, eliminate Saturday mail delivery,
dramatically alter the post office's workforce, and raise the cost of postage.

Although there are multiple reasons for the USPS's current budget shortfalls, its biggest problem
lies in its bizarre relationship with the federal government.
While the Postal Service is expected to finance itself, it is not allowed to set its own rates,
choose its own hours, or determine its internal policies. To turn the problem around, the USPS
will either need to be directly funded by the government (as is the case in many countries) or
it needs the freedom to set its own prices, policies, and hours.

Problem Number One: Congress Is in the Driver's Seat

Read all about it
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:12 pm

and the government wants to control healthcare?

i look at it this way. if it wasn't for the post office, a branch of the federal government, Kriss Kringle never would have been proven as the one and only Santa Claus
Back to top Go down
flannel

flannel

Number of posts : 12
pennies : 20
Rep : 2

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:45 pm

KK wrote:
and the government wants to control healthcare?

i look at it this way. if it wasn't for the post office, a branch of the federal government, Kriss Kringle never would have been proven as the one and only Santa Claus

Around here all of the rural mail carriers are private contractors anyways.
Back to top Go down
BMG

BMG

Humor : Twisted
Number of posts : 2571
pennies : 2320
Rep : 79

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:59 pm

NO !!!!
Back to top Go down
Madison

Madison

Hobbies : reconciling c/thru
Humor : sexist
Super Powers : faux feminism reparations Number of posts : 621
pennies : 299
Rep : 20

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 3:16 pm

(at work)

I don't even use the the regular mail much at all anymore

I check my mailbox about once a week and it's junk a bunch of advertisements and flyers
maybe if they quit sending all that crap through the USPS the companies could lower prices with the savings

but I do hate to see a bunch of jobs lost right now
Back to top Go down
java

java

Number of posts : 3126
pennies : 2097
Rep : 58

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 5:10 pm

I like snail mail and they do employ a lot of people. Not the worst way they ever came up with to spend our money. 44 cents for a first class letter to anywhere in the US isn't a bad price when you consider how much it would cost to hand deliver it.
Back to top Go down
jjjamesjchrist

jjjamesjchrist

Hobbies : lexi
Humor : yes
Super Powers : levitation and mesmerization Number of posts : 885
pennies : 741
Rep : 120

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 5:27 pm

my mail is NEVER right. my neighbors get my mail or no one does, i get their mail all the time. it is just crazy, but i dont want the mailman going postal so i smile and say hi and curse him under my breath.

in short, NO.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 9:00 pm

java wrote:
I like snail mail and they do employ a lot of people. Not the worst way they ever came up with to spend our money. 44 cents for a first class letter to anywhere in the US isn't a bad price when you consider how much it would cost to hand deliver it.

i say let it run as a private enterprise.
Back to top Go down
java

java

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 9:10 pm

jamesjchrist wrote:
my mail is NEVER right. my neighbors get my mail or no one does, i get their mail all the time. it is just crazy, but i dont want the mailman going postal so i smile and say hi and curse him under my breath.

in short, NO.
They never mess my mail up. I don't know of a single thing that's ever been dropped. Must be a NY thing. Since I moved though I've started getting a lot more junk mail.
Back to top Go down
java

java

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 9:14 pm

KK wrote:
java wrote:

The only exclusive they have is for first class mail. I don't want to get my first class mail from Fedex or UPS. More efficient to have it all handled by a single carrier.
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Hobbies : Sleep/Photography
Humor : Seinfeld (show) has it all!
Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905
pennies : 3262
Rep : 97

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 3:27 am

The government has how many years to get the postal service right? NO BAIL OUT!
Back to top Go down
java

java

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 6:43 pm

I wish they'd just raise the price of stamps and stfu about it. The biggest cost right now is probably going to be in paying for the big bureaucratic mess of them sitting around whining and begging for bailouts.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 10:14 pm

java wrote:
KK wrote:
java wrote:

The only exclusive they have is for first class mail. I don't want to get my first class mail from Fedex or UPS. More efficient to have it all handled by a single carrier.
they have too much real estate, to many local post offices and they go door to door everyday. that's a huge undertaking
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 12:04 am

KK wrote:
java wrote:
KK wrote:
java wrote:

they have too much real estate, to many local post offices and they go door to door everyday. that's a huge undertaking

Have them deliver 3 days a week and make them part time.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 12:17 pm

Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:
java wrote:
KK wrote:
java wrote:

charge a higher rate for junk mail. that needs to cover the cost of the postman
Back to top Go down
java

java

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 8:00 pm

KK wrote:
Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:
java wrote:
KK wrote:
java wrote:

They should pay me personally for allowing them to choke my mailbox with all that crap. I would sue if I could.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 8:25 pm

charge a higher rate for junk mail. that needs to cover the cost of the postman[/quote]They should pay me personally for allowing them to choke my mailbox with all that crap. I would sue if I could.[/quote]

which is in part why it should carry a higher rate. it's a non essential which is driving up the rates of everything else
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 1:40 am

KK wrote:
They should pay me personally for allowing them to choke my mailbox with all that crap. I would sue if I could.[/quote]

which is in part why it should carry a higher rate. it's a non essential which is driving up the rates of everything else[/quote]

I agree 100% they need to raise the rates on junk mail and drop the price of stamps. It makes me sick when I see what they charge some of the junk mailers. Check the envelopes and it has the cost sometimes. I alwways look for the pre paid envelpope and send it back to them. That way they have to pay for it twice.
Back to top Go down
BMG

BMG

Humor : Twisted
Number of posts : 2571
pennies : 2320
Rep : 79

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 4:27 pm

Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:
They should pay me personally for allowing them to choke my mailbox with all that crap. I would sue if I could.

which is in part why it should carry a higher rate. it's a non essential which is driving up the rates of everything else[/quote]

I agree 100% they need to raise the rates on junk mail and drop the price of stamps. It makes me sick when I see what they charge some of the junk mailers. Check the envelopes and it has the cost sometimes. I alwways look for the pre paid envelpope and send it back to them. That way they have to pay for it twice.[/quote]

And then there are those jackasses who drive by and throw those freebie newspapers, which are mostly just advertisements, in your driveway. If I drove around throwing stuff in peoples driveways that they didnt want I'd get a ticket for littering. Whats up with them being able to do it?
Back to top Go down
java

java

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 7:59 pm

BMG wrote:

And then there are those jackasses who drive by and throw those freebie newspapers, which are mostly just advertisements, in your driveway. If I drove around throwing stuff in peoples driveways that they didnt want I'd get a ticket for littering. Whats up with them being able to do it?
I don't get that either but in the town where I last lived one of them was called the "Shopper's Weekly" and I came to find out that the Shopper's Weekly was partly owned by the ex-mayor of the town. I used to stack them neatly in the sidewalk so people would know I was home. One of my biggest gripes about it is that it marks the houses where nobody's home for any potential home burglars who might happen to drive by.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 10:38 pm

Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:

I agree 100% they need to raise the rates on junk mail and drop the price of stamps. It makes me sick when I see what they charge some of the junk mailers. Check the envelopes and it has the cost sometimes. I alwways look for the pre paid envelpope and send it back to them. That way they have to pay for it twice.[/quote]

ok here's a little trick to get some of the junk mail idiots off your back. you'll notice a lot of junk mail comes with a post paid return card attached for you to respond with out having to pay the postage. well tape a brick to it an mail it back. they have to make good on the postage based on the weight. it will cost them about $20
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 12:18 am

KK wrote:
Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:

which is in part why it should carry a higher rate. it's a non essential which is driving up the rates of everything else

ok here's a little trick to get some of the junk mail idiots off your back. you'll notice a lot of junk mail comes with a post paid return card attached for you to respond with out having to pay the postage. well tape a brick to it an mail it back. they have to make good on the postage based on the weight. it will cost them about $20[/quote]

I don't have that many bricks but I do stuff the envelopes with as much junk as I can. It at least gets them over weight.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 11:12 am

tape it to your recycles and send them back
Back to top Go down
alivegenieII

alivegenieII

Hobbies : networking
Number of posts : 186
pennies : 232
Rep : 12

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 7:18 pm

Sssssssssnnnnnnnnfz, petkity

postage , Art work paid for ,cool ,
then the RED DYE used for junk mail goes right next tom recycled rubber ! thankyou
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 8:34 pm

alivegenieII wrote:
Sssssssssnnnnnnnnfz, petkity

postage , Art work paid for ,cool ,
then the RED DYE used for junk mail goes right next tom recycled rubber ! thankyou

i should take some pictures of some of the stamps i've got -amazing art work
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?   Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does the U.S. Postal Service Deserve a Bailout?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next