Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

Stocks tumble as euro drops, jobless claims rise

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

Stocks tumble as euro drops, jobless claims rise Empty
PostSubject: Stocks tumble as euro drops, jobless claims rise   Stocks tumble as euro drops, jobless claims rise Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 11:58 am

just when is this stimulus package supposed to kick in?

By STEPHEN BERNARD and TIM PARADIS, AP Business Writers Stephen Bernard And Tim Paradis, Ap Business Writers – 12 mins ago
NEW YORK – Stocks are tumbling after another drop in the euro and disappointing U.S. employment news have added to investors' already bleak view of the world economy.

The Dow Jones industrials are down more than 200 points Thursday. Interest rates are sliding in the Treasury market as investors once again seek safety in U.S. government debt.

The latest drop means the benchmark Standard & Poor's 500 index is down more than 10 percent from its 2010 trading high last month. That marks the market's first "correction," or a drop of 10 percent or more, since major indexes tumbled to 12-year lows in March last year.

At midday, the Dow is down 215 at 10,231. The S&P 500 index is down 26 at 1,090. The Nasdaq composite index is down 62 at 2,237.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

NEW YORK (AP) — The stock market tumbled again Thursday after investors' already bleak view of the world economy worsened with another drop in the euro and disappointing U.S. employment news. Interest rates fell sharply in the Treasury market as investors once again sought the safety of U.S. government debt.

The Dow Jones industrial average fell more than 250 points in morning trading.

With Thursday's drop, the Standard & Poor's 500 is down more than 10 percent from its 2010 trading high last month. Such a drop is considered by many analysts to be a "correction" in the market. Many analysts pay more attention to drops from closing highs, however, not trading highs. If the S&P 500 index closed at its present level it would be the first correction since stock indexes hit 12-year lows in March last year.

The euro is falling again and continues to hover near a four-year low. It has become a key indicator for confidence in Europe's economy. The euro fell to $1.2318, a day after hitting $1.2146.

"There's a question out there now that potentially we could be talking about a collapse of the eurozone or countries breaking away from the euro," said Tim Quinlan, an economist at Wells Fargo & Co. As recently as four months ago, that wasn't even considered a possibility, Quinlan said.

Such a stark change in views has unnerved investors. The euro, which reflects investors' confidence in European economies, is now largely driving stock trading. Major European indexes gave up their morning gains and turned sharply lower after the euro retreated.

Meanwhile, the Labor Department's latest employment report added to investors' worries about the global economy. They have been selling heavily the past few weeks amid growing concerns that Europe's debt problems will halt the recovery in the region and hurt the rebound in the U.S.

The department said new claims for unemployment benefits rose by 25,000 to 471,000, their largest amount in three months. That came as an unpleasant surprise to investors who were expecting a slight drop to 440,000. High unemployment remains one of the biggest obstacles to a sustained recovery in the U.S. The latest report snapped a streak of four straight weekly declines and again calls into question the strength of the job market.

Weekly claims have been stuck around 450,000 since January, unable to break closer to the 425,000 range that is considered a sign that employers are regularly hiring new workers.

A private research group reported an unexpected drop in its index of leading economic indicators. The Conference Board's indicator of future economic activity slipped in April for first drop since the stock market's bottom last year in March. Economists polled by Thomson Reuters had expected a gain. The slip signals that growth could slow this summer.

In late morning trading, the Dow fell 251.13, or 2.4 percent, to 10,193.24. The S&P 500 fell 29.83, or 2.7 percent, to 1,085.22. The Nasdaq composite index fell 69.52, or 3 percent, to 2,228.85.

As investors pulled out of stocks and other risky investments like commodities, they moved into safer investments such as U.S. Treasurys.

The yield on the benchmark 10-year Treasury note, which moves opposite its price, fell to 3.24 percent from 3.37 percent late Wednesday.

The demand for safety rose after Greek workers again took to the streets protesting recently approved budget cuts that were necessary for the country to receive a bailout. Greece was able to repay debt that came due Wednesday only because it had access to a rescue package from the European Union and International Monetary Fund.

The Dow has fallen for nine of the past 12 days. The Dow dropped 115 points on Tuesday and 67 points on Wednesday.

Commodities prices tumbled after investors pulled back on risky investments.

Crude oil fell $2.73 to $67.14 per barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

Energy companies posted some of the steepest drops. Exxon Mobil Corp. fell $1.26, or 2 percent, to $61.19, Chevron Corp. fell $1.97, or 2.6 percent, to $74.63.

Industrial stocks also slumped amid concerns that a weak global economy will curb demand for all kinds of goods. Aluminum producer Alcoa Inc. fell 57 cents, or 4.8 percent, to $11.21, while heavy equipment maker Caterpillar Inc. slid $2.74, or 4.5 percent, to $58.70.

At the New York Stock Exchange, only about 100 stocks rose compared to 2,930 that fell. Volume came to 509 million shares, compared with 454 million traded at the same point Wednesday.

The Russell 2000 index of smaller companies fell 23.66, or 3.5 percent, to 650.74.

In afternoon trading, Britain's FTSE 100 fell 2.6, Germany's DAX index dropped 2.8 percent, and France's CAC-40 plummeted 3.9 percent.
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Hobbies : Sleep/Photography
Humor : Seinfeld (show) has it all!
Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905
pennies : 3262
Rep : 97

PostSubject: Re: Stocks tumble as euro drops, jobless claims rise   Stocks tumble as euro drops, jobless claims rise Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 4:11 am

I thought things were getting better.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Stocks tumble as euro drops, jobless claims rise   Stocks tumble as euro drops, jobless claims rise Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 1:08 pm

Joebert wrote:
I thought things were getting better.

just proves you can spin anything
Back to top Go down
Madison

Madison

Hobbies : reconciling c/thru
Humor : sexist
Super Powers : faux feminism reparations Number of posts : 621
pennies : 299
Rep : 20

PostSubject: Re: Stocks tumble as euro drops, jobless claims rise   Stocks tumble as euro drops, jobless claims rise Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 12:32 pm

I think all these other countries are faking it .... LOL...they're afraid we're gonna ask to borrow some cash
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Stocks tumble as euro drops, jobless claims rise   Stocks tumble as euro drops, jobless claims rise Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 3:54 pm

Madison wrote:
I think all these other countries are faking it .... LOL...they're afraid we're gonna ask to borrow some cash

we'll need it to pay for healthcare
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Hobbies : Sleep/Photography
Humor : Seinfeld (show) has it all!
Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905
pennies : 3262
Rep : 97

PostSubject: Re: Stocks tumble as euro drops, jobless claims rise   Stocks tumble as euro drops, jobless claims rise Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 1:56 am

KK wrote:
Madison wrote:

And SS for ll the illegals...not counting Obama's dad's half sister. She gets a free pass and gets to sleep in the Lincoln bedroom. The one us tax payers own.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Stocks tumble as euro drops, jobless claims rise   Stocks tumble as euro drops, jobless claims rise Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:18 pm

Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:
Madison wrote:

And SS for ll the illegals...not counting Obama's dad's half sister. She gets a free pass and gets to sleep in the Lincoln bedroom. The one us tax payers own.

idk, i say if you are illegal, you get nothing. you're illegal so are your kids born here
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stocks tumble as euro drops, jobless claims rise   Stocks tumble as euro drops, jobless claims rise Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1