Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

Does Your Language Shape How You Think?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

Does Your Language Shape How You Think? Empty
PostSubject: Does Your Language Shape How You Think?   Does Your Language Shape How You Think? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 11:46 am

Quote :
Since there is no evidence that any language forbids its speakers to think anything,
we must look in an entirely different direction to discover how our mother tongue
really does shape our experience of the world.

Some 50 years ago, the renowned linguist Roman Jakobson pointed out a crucial fact
about differences between languages in a pithy maxim:

“Languages differ essentially in what they must convey and not in what they may convey.”

This maxim offers us the key to unlocking the real force of the mother tongue: if different languages
influence our minds in different ways, this is not because of what our language allows us to think
but rather because of what it habitually obliges us to think about.

snipped from this major article : LINK ____Does Your Language Shape How You Think?
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

PostSubject: Re: Does Your Language Shape How You Think?   Does Your Language Shape How You Think? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 1:13 pm

I love etymology .... it's interesting to see how a word as evolved ... more so when there is a very strong
move towards "watering down" a meaning or vice versa, trying to give a term more power than it deserves or probably ever wanted

2 examples :
look what happened to the word "gay" .... that poor word has practically been "raped"

Back to top Go down
Edelweiss

Edelweiss

Humor : yes
Number of posts : 405
pennies : 536
Rep : 65

PostSubject: Re: Does Your Language Shape How You Think?   Does Your Language Shape How You Think? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 6:25 pm

c/thru wrote:
Quote :
Since there is no evidence that any language forbids its speakers to think anything,
we must look in an entirely different direction to discover how our mother tongue
really does shape our experience of the world.

Some 50 years ago, the renowned linguist Roman Jakobson pointed out a crucial fact
about differences between languages in a pithy maxim:

“Languages differ essentially in what they must convey and not in what they may convey.”

This maxim offers us the key to unlocking the real force of the mother tongue: if different languages
influence our minds in different ways, this is not because of what our language allows us to think
but rather because of what it habitually obliges us to think about.

snipped from this major article : LINK ____Does Your Language Shape How You Think?

You certainly posted this a an opportune time...lately I've been given a chance to be misunderstood in 3 languages...I will need to get away from the "allowing" and move closer to the "obliging"...requires a lot of thought on my part facepalm
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

PostSubject: Re: Does Your Language Shape How You Think?   Does Your Language Shape How You Think? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 9:25 pm

you getting trolled again over there? LOL.... whhhyyy, I outta .....led me at 'em, just led me at 'em
Back to top Go down
Edelweiss

Edelweiss

Humor : yes
Number of posts : 405
pennies : 536
Rep : 65

PostSubject: Re: Does Your Language Shape How You Think?   Does Your Language Shape How You Think? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 9:34 pm

c/thru wrote:
you getting trolled again over there? LOL.... whhhyyy, I outta .....led me at 'em, just led me at 'em

Oh no...they're lightweights compared to you...I don't want to scare them !

Look what Hubby brought home today...he was smiling when he gave it to me...now I have to think about this...is he having fun ? is he trying to tell me something ? is he being passive aggressive or does he just love me ???

Does Your Language Shape How You Think? _0000_10
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

PostSubject: Re: Does Your Language Shape How You Think?   Does Your Language Shape How You Think? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 9:43 pm

Edelweiss wrote:
c/thru wrote:

Oh no...they're lightweights compared to you...I don't want to scare them !

Look what Hubby brought home today...he was smiling when he gave it to me...now I have to think about this...is he having fun ? is he trying to tell me something ? is he being passive aggressive or does he just love me ???

Does Your Language Shape How You Think? _0000_10

did you tell him you already knew that? lolFlag

but it is hard to tell sometimes, ain't it ?

it's probably "all of the above" ... but they say the majority of communication is non-verbal
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Your Language Shape How You Think?   Does Your Language Shape How You Think? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does Your Language Shape How You Think?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cloud 9 Forumn :: Cloud 9 Forum :: Psychobabble-
Jump to: