Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight

Go down 
+3
BMG
c/thru
KK
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Empty
PostSubject: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 2:15 pm

space.com – Fri Jan 29, 7:45 am ET
Tonight's full moon will be the biggest and brightest full moon of the year. It offers anyone with clear skies an opportunity to identify easy-to-see features on the moon.

This being the first full moon of 2010, it is also known as the wolf moon, a moniker dating back to Native American culture and the notion that hungry wolves howled at the full moon on cold winter nights. Each month brings another full moon name.

But why will this moon be bigger than others? Here's how the moon works:

The moon is, on average, 238,855 miles (384,400 km) from Earth. The moon's orbit around Earth – which causes it to go through all its phases once every 29.5 days – is not a perfect circle, but rather an ellipse. One side of the orbit is 31,070 miles (50,000 km) closer than the other.

So in each orbit, the moon reaches this closest point to us, called perigee. Once or twice a year, perigee coincides with a full moon, as it will tonight, making the moon bigger and brighter than any other full moons during the year.

Tonight it will be about 14 percent wider and 30 percent brighter than lesser full Moons of the year, according to Spaceweather.com.

As a bonus, Mars will be just to the left of the moon tonight. Look for the reddish, star-like object.

Full moon craziness

Many people think full moons cause strange behavior among animals and even humans. In fact several studies over the years have tried to tie lunar phases to births, heart attacks, deaths, suicides, violence, psychiatric hospital admissions and epileptic seizures, and more. Connections have been inclusive or nonexistent.

The moon does have some odd effects on our planet, and there are oodles of other amazing moon facts and misconceptions:

A full moon at perigee also brings higher ocean tides. This tug of the moon on Earth also creates tides in the planet's crust, not just in the oceans.
Beaches are more polluted during full moon, owing to the higher tides.
In reality, there's no such thing as a full moon. The full moon occurs when the sun, Earth and the moon are all lined up, almost. If they're perfectly aligned, Earth casts a shadow on the moon and there's a total lunar eclipse. So during what we call a full moon, the moon's face is actually slightly less than 100 percent illuminated.
The moon is moving away as you read this, by about 1.6 inches (4 cm) a year.

The moon illusion

Finally, be sure to get out and see the full moon as it rises, right around sunset. Along the horizon, the moon tends to seem even bigger. This is just an illusion.

You can prove to yourself that this is an illusion. Taking a small object such as a pencil eraser, hold it at arm's length, and compare its size to that of the moon just as it rises. Then repeat the experiment later in the night and you'll see that the moon compares the same in both cases. Alternately, snap two photos of the moon, with a digital camera or your cell phone, when the moon is near the horizon and later when it's higher in the sky. Pull both photos up on your computer screen and make a side-by-side comparison.

Astronomers and psychologists agree the moon illusion is just that, but they don't agree on how to explain it.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 2:16 pm

and it is supposed to be clear tonight. at least out east
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Thanks for this KK ... I hope I can see it here and capture a few shots
Back to top Go down
BMG

BMG

Humor : Twisted
Number of posts : 2571
pennies : 2320
Rep : 79

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:08 pm

>This being the first full moon of 2010, it is also known as the wolf moon, a moniker dating back to Native American culture and the notion that hungry wolves howled at the full moon on cold winter nights. Each month brings another full moon name.<

According to my grandfather I was born during the mad elk moon. I love that old traditional stuff.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 5:15 pm

BMG wrote:
>This being the first full moon of 2010, it is also known as the wolf moon, a moniker dating back to Native American culture and the notion that hungry wolves howled at the full moon on cold winter nights. Each month brings another full moon name.<

According to my grandfather I was born during the mad elk moon. I love that old traditional stuff.

have you passed it down to your children?
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 8:50 pm

it's time !!!

I just looked....first it was big and pink as the sun went past the mountain range....

now it is up mid high and so, so, so big and bright
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 9:08 pm

c/thru wrote:
it's time !!!

I just looked....first it was big and pink as the sun went past the mountain range....

now it is up mid high and so, so, so big and bright

it's almost like day light here. it's so bright the sky looks solid black blue. it's even blocking out aoo the stars. The only one you can see right now is venus.
Back to top Go down
Wallstone

Wallstone

Hobbies : marine biology/architecture
Humor : You be the judge
Number of posts : 1000
pennies : 869
Rep : 41

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 10:05 pm

They're calling for a chance of snow tonight, so total cloud cover here. Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight 926774
Back to top Go down
Giada

Giada

Humor : Good
Number of posts : 2011
pennies : 2069
Rep : 154

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 8:24 pm

It was very bright and beautiful, but not the biggest moon I've ever seen - I'm talkin the actual celestial one, getcher minds outta the gutter. spank
Back to top Go down
Wallstone

Wallstone

Hobbies : marine biology/architecture
Humor : You be the judge
Number of posts : 1000
pennies : 869
Rep : 41

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 9:29 pm

That "chance of snow" I mentioned yesterday turned into half a foot or so today. My younger son did one of those "polar bear plunges" in the Chesapeake Bay this afternoon, and the temp was a balmy 14 degrees. Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Affraid
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 10:18 pm

Giada wrote:
It was very bright and beautiful, but not the biggest moon I've ever seen - I'm talkin the actual celestial one, getcher minds outta the gutter. spank

remember that time alice flashes us
Back to top Go down
Giada

Giada

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 11:24 am

KK wrote:
Giada wrote:

Thankfully, no. flagcrossbone

As a child, I had to pick up the apples from our tree in the neighbor's yard, even tho they never picked up their apples that fell in our yard. The woman was an obnoxious, fat Jewish woman (no disrespect to anyone here that's Jewish) but she hated us because we were German. Anyway, one day I was picking up the apples and she came out in her housecoat and bent over right in front of me - she wasn't wearing any underwear! THAT was the biggest moon I've ever seen, and hairy, too.
Back to top Go down
BMG

BMG

Humor : Twisted
Number of posts : 2571
pennies : 2320
Rep : 79

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Giada wrote:
KK wrote:
Giada wrote:

As a child, I had to pick up the apples from our tree in the neighbor's yard, even tho they never picked up their apples that fell in our yard. The woman was an obnoxious, fat Jewish woman (no disrespect to anyone here that's Jewish) but she hated us because we were German. Anyway, one day I was picking up the apples and she came out in her housecoat and bent over right in front of me - she wasn't wearing any underwear! THAT was the biggest moon I've ever seen, and hairy, too.

EEEEWWWWWWW !!!

The things you see when you dont have a slingshot and a pebble.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 1:44 pm

Giada wrote:
KK wrote:
Giada wrote:

did it have craters ? giggle
Back to top Go down
Giada

Giada

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 6:06 pm

KK wrote:
Giada wrote:
KK wrote:
Giada wrote:

I can't remember. I just know I ran home and told my mother. It was truly disgusting.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 10:54 pm

Giada wrote:
KK wrote:
Giada wrote:
KK wrote:
Giada wrote:

I can't remember. I just know I ran home and told my mother. It was truly disgusting.

I got a crotch shot once from a friends mother who lived across the street. it was ealry in the morning and she came down the stairs in a bathrobe that kind of opened a bit.
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Hobbies : Sleep/Photography
Humor : Seinfeld (show) has it all!
Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905
pennies : 3262
Rep : 97

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 1:58 am

Cloudy here, guess I'll have to wait till next year.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 9:36 pm

Joebert wrote:
Cloudy here, guess I'll have to wait till next year.

by then the moon will be an inc and a half further away from the earth
Back to top Go down
java

java

Number of posts : 3126
pennies : 2097
Rep : 58

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 6:14 pm

I always liked this wiki pic, which shows the approximate sizes and distance from the Earth to the Moon. The yellow line plots the almost 9 second time that it takes for light, or a TV signal, from the Earth, to reach the Moon.

Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Speed_of_light_from_Earth_to_Moon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 8:37 pm

wow, only 9 seconds
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Hobbies : Sleep/Photography
Humor : Seinfeld (show) has it all!
Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905
pennies : 3262
Rep : 97

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 3:08 am

Aaa that's a fast 9 seconds.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 9:31 pm

Joebert wrote:
Aaa that's a fast 9 seconds.

it must be to scale
Back to top Go down
java

java

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 9:39 pm

It almost looks vulgar now that I take a second look at it. Maybe I should use it for a signature... giggle
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:05 pm

java wrote:
It almost looks vulgar now that I take a second look at it. Maybe I should use it for a signature... giggle
that's what i thought at first
Back to top Go down
java

java

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 11:12 pm

KK wrote:
java wrote:
that's what i thought at first
There seems to be a trend...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight   Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next