Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons Empty
PostSubject: Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons   Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 11:16 am

Back in January 2008, while meeting with the editorial board of the Reno Gazette-Journal right before the Democratic Nevada caucuses, Barack Obama offered some approving commentary on the legacy and influence of the 40th President. Ronald Reagan, he said, "changed the trajectory of America in a way that, you know, Richard Nixon did not and in a way that Bill Clinton did not." Not surprisingly, Obama's remark riled up both Hillary Clinton and her husband, who viewed it as demeaning to the achievements of the Clinton Administration, as well as a cheap tactic to win favor with some of the Silver State's more conservative Democrats. (See pictures of people around the world watching Obama's Inauguration.)

In reality, Obama (and, for that matter, the Clintons) has a long history of paying public homage to the leadership and political skills of President Reagan, even while disagreeing with his policies.

Now, just as Reagan struggled to find his footing at the start of his own first term, Obama is straining to revive his political mojo. And so, as the President prepares for his second State of the Union address, here are the elements of the Gipper's arsenal that his latest successor would be smart to follow:

1. Stand for a few big things
Obama rode to his party's nomination as the anti-Clinton and won the general election as the anti-Bush without ever having to define his political persona. Reagan's policies didn't always live up to his mantra (lower taxes, stronger defense, family values), but he was able to fit most of his major initiatives and high-profile events under that simple tripartite rubric.

2. Be bigger than life
Obama is in many ways an ordinary guy (not unlike brush-clearing Bush and shorts-wearing Clinton). Scenes of him rhapsodizing about ESPN or headed out for burgers serve to humanize Obama and are certainly an appealing window into his real-life self. But through stagecraft and style, Reagan was able to be both an accessible and a towering figure. The Democrat in the White House now needs to be more imposing and less familiar, in order to wow his friends and strike fear into the hearts of his enemies. Plainspoken speeches, richly symbolic events and well-timed humor are Reagan tools that Obama could employ.

3. Create more Obama Republicans
Candidate Obama had broad appeal for Republicans and conservative-leaning independents. Now, his image and agenda have left him without any calling card to widen his support (essential for winning policy fights and elections). The Gipper wooed so-called Reagan Democrats by finding common cause with them on key issues such as national security and lower taxes while still keeping his political base solidly on board. Education, spending cuts, and maybe even health care are all ripe areas where Obama can make another effort to reach out - to voters, if not to intransigent Republicans in Washington.

4. Don't let the media get you down
By the time Reagan reached the White House, he had been trapped in the glare of press scrutiny from his days in Hollywood through his time in the California governor's mansion. Obama, meanwhile, glided into his Illinois Senate seat and into the White House with very little negative attention from the press (beyond brief isolated incidents such as the Rev. Wright dustup). Now, hammered nonstop by both the conservative and mainstream media, Obama has to thicken his skin. Reagan wasn't crazy about the coverage he got either, but he sloughed it off and followed the actor's credo: Never let them see you sweat.

5. Use national security to strengthen your hand at home
Obama needs to frame future foreign policy successes in way that gives him leverage with voters and Congress. Reagan deployed his standing as a successful Cold War President to rally the public around him, and then used higher approval ratings to advance his agenda. Obama is governing in a more partisan era, but he can break the bonds of a divided Washington to turn his domestic agenda into a patriotic one - by pushing for energy independence, for example - rather than one side of a left-right slugfest.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons   Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 11:16 am

reagan was the man
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons   Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 11:53 am

good luck with #3 idunno

I read both Obama and Reagan hold the same 57% 1st year approval rating
Back to top Go down
BMG

BMG

Humor : Twisted
Number of posts : 2571
pennies : 2320
Rep : 79

PostSubject: Re: Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons   Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Is there such a thing as an Obama republican ? rolling on floor lau
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons   Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 4:58 pm

BMG wrote:

not even many obama democrats left
Back to top Go down
BMG

BMG

Humor : Twisted
Number of posts : 2571
pennies : 2320
Rep : 79

PostSubject: Re: Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons   Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 5:44 pm

KK wrote:
BMG wrote:

not even many obama democrats left

They do seem anxious to create distance before the elections.
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

PostSubject: Re: Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons   Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 8:34 pm

I hope tonight goes well idunno
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons   Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 8:58 pm

c/thru wrote:
I hope tonight goes well idunno
i think that horse already left the barn
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

PostSubject: Re: Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons   Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 9:36 pm

I'm logging out....gonna get compfy and a few snacks ready for the big show, starts in about 25 minutes
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons   Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 10:35 pm

c/thru wrote:
I'm logging out....gonna get compfy and a few snacks ready for the big show, starts in about 25 minutes

i just finished watching American idol grin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons   Ronald Reagan's Charm Could Teach Obama some Lessons Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1