Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals Empty
PostSubject: Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals   Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 10:14 am

Life looks a little rosier after 50, a new study finds. Older people in their mid- to late-50s are generally happier, and experience less stress and worry than young adults in their 20s, the researchers say.

The results, based on a Gallup phone survey from 2008 of more than 340,000 Americans, held even after the researchers accounted for factors that could have contributed to differences in well-being with age, such as whether the participants were married, had children at home or were employed.

So if having a partner and getting rid of the kids aren't responsible for the uptick in happiness and general life satisfaction with age, then what is? More studies will be needed to find out, the researchers say.

"That can be based on social things, on societal things, on biological things; and for us that is the big question," study researcher Arthur Stone, a psychologist at Stony Brook University in N.Y.

Two ways to look at life

The findings agree with previous work showing well-being varies with age. And some studies have narrowed things down to suggest that happiness comes with being old, male and Republican.

However, the current work included measures of both overall happiness (called global well-being) and day-to-day experiences of specific feelings such as stress and happiness (called hedonic well-being).

These two measures of well-being are rarely included in the same study, Stone said. But they are both important, since global well-being provides a more reflective look at life while hedonic well-being gives a more immediate view, he said.

The immediate, hedonic measures - happiness, enjoyment, stress, worry, anger and sadness - all changed with age, but they showed very different patterns. For example, stress and anger steadily decreased from young adulthood through old age. But worry was fairly constant until age 50, when it declined. Sadness levels rose slightly in the early 40s and declined in the mid 50s, but overall sadness didn't change much with age.

And people's overall satisfaction with their lives showed a U-shaped pattern, dipping down until about the age of 50 before trending upward again.

Men and women showed very similar patterns in terms of how well-being changed with age, though women tended to have higher levels of stress, worry and sadness. However, women had about the same levels of happiness as men and tended to feel better overall about their lives, especially during the first 50 years.

The results emphasize the importance of looking at hedonic well-being since these feelings, particularly the negative ones, don't all vary the same way as we age, Stone said.

"Looking at well-being really needs to be multidimensional and more comprehensive than might be suggested by the current literature," he said.

Why are older people happier?

There are several theories that might explain why people feel better with age that don't have to do with lifestyle factors. It could be, for example, that older people are better at controlling their emotions than younger people. Or it might have something to do with nostalgia, the idea that older people remember fewer negative memories and so are happier.

Also, older people might focus less on what they have or have not achieved, and more on how to get the most out of the rest of their lives, Stone said.
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals   Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 10:52 am

Quote :

And some studies have narrowed things down to suggest that happiness
comes with being old, male and Republican.

C9femist
Back to top Go down
Edelweiss

Edelweiss

Humor : yes
Number of posts : 405
pennies : 536
Rep : 65

PostSubject: Re: Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals   Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 1:31 pm

Happiness comes with age...if one has learned you can't change your partner...
and your partner knows enough not to try ... C9no

Also, with less time left...you learn not to sweat the small stuff...there's too much big stuff to sweat... C9peaceGrin
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals   Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 4:34 pm

c/thru wrote:
Quote :

And some studies have narrowed things down to suggest that happiness
comes with being old, male and Republican.

C9femist
see! you're doing it all wrong. lol giggle
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals   Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 4:41 pm

Edelweiss wrote:
Happiness comes with age...if one has learned you can't change your partner...
and your partner knows enough not to try ... C9no

Also, with less time left...you learn not to sweat the small stuff...there's too much big stuff to sweat... C9peaceGrin

i don't want to change my partner. I like that fact that she is her own perrson with her own ways of doing things. I respect and appreciate her ways. I think we have a great relationship becasue we have maintained our individuality. With the right amount of compromise built in.
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Hobbies : Sleep/Photography
Humor : Seinfeld (show) has it all!
Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905
pennies : 3262
Rep : 97

PostSubject: Re: Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals   Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 2:06 am

I'm happy about one thing...I'll never be 20 and looking for a job and working the next 30/40 years. C9BeerCheer
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals   Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 10:03 am

Joebert wrote:
I'm happy about one thing...I'll never be 20 and looking for a job and working the next 30/40 years. C9BeerCheer
it's tough out there right now
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905

PostSubject: Re: Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals   Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 2:18 am

KK wrote:
Joebert wrote:

I can only guess how bad. But I had a friend that just went back to work in this area, Worked steady for at least 30+ years and when they stopped building houses he didn't have a full time job. Things have been picking up here a little but it would be hard for a young person just out of college to find job.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals   Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:22 pm

Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:
Joebert wrote:

I can only guess how bad. But I had a friend that just went back to work in this area, Worked steady for at least 30+ years and when they stopped building houses he didn't have a full time job. Things have been picking up here a little but it would be hard for a young person just out of college to find job.
a girl who is temping for us graduated last year. all 200 in her class didn't have a job prospect at graduation
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

PostSubject: Re: Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals   Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 5:52 pm

KK wrote:
Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:
Joebert wrote:

a girl who is temping for us graduated last year. all 200 in her class didn't have a job prospect at graduation

I believe it. You better be open to working at what you can get and maybe a couple jobs.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals   Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 10:12 pm

I believe it. You better be open to working at what you can get and maybe a couple jobs.[/quote]

thatk god for the stimulus
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

PostSubject: Re: Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals   Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 3:24 am

KK wrote:
I believe it. You better be open to working at what you can get and maybe a couple jobs.

thatk god for the stimulus[/quote]

Stimulus, taking you money and then spreading it around...oh yaeh that's a great idea. I have an idea, why don;t they spend less and take less and give us more to spend...duh.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals   Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 8:25 pm

cutting spending is the only way to get us back on track. let's start will al funding to illegals
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals   Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1