Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests Empty
PostSubject: Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests   Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 12:19 pm

Our personalities stay pretty much the same throughout our lives, from our early childhood years to after we're over the hill, according to a new study.

The results show personality traits observed in children as young as first graders are a strong predictor of adult behavior.

"We remain recognizably the same person," said study author Christopher Nave, a doctoral candidate at the University of California, Riverside. "This speaks to the importance of understanding personality because it does follow us wherever we go across time and contexts."

The study will be published in an upcoming issue of the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science.

Tracking personalities

Using data from a 1960s study of approximately 2,400 ethnically diverse schoolchildren (grades 1 - 6) in Hawaii, researchers compared teacher personality ratings of the students with videotaped interviews of 144 of those individuals 40 years later.

They examined four personality attributes - talkativeness (called verbal fluency), adaptability (cope well with new situations), impulsiveness and self-minimizing behavior (essentially being humble to the point of minimizing one's importance).

Among the findings:

Talkative youngsters tended to show interest in intellectual matters, speak fluently, try to control situations, and exhibit a high degree of intelligence as adults. Children who rated low in verbal fluency were observed as adults to seek advice, give up when faced with obstacles, and exhibit an awkward interpersonal style.

Children rated as highly adaptable tended, as middle-age adults, to behave cheerfully, speak fluently and show interest in intellectual matters. Those who rated low in adaptability as children were observed as adults to say negative things about themselves, seek advice and exhibit an awkward interpersonal style.

Students rated as impulsive were inclined to speak loudly, display a wide range of interests and be talkative as adults. Less impulsive kids tended to be fearful or timid, kept others at a distance and expressed insecurity as adults.

Children characterized as self-minimizing were likely to express guilt, seek reassurance, say negative things about themselves and express insecurity as adults. Those who were ranked low on a self-minimizing scale tended to speak loudly, show interest in intellectual matters and exhibit condescending behavior as adults.

Changing personality

Previous research has suggested that while our personalities can change, it's not an easy undertaking.

Personality is "a part of us, a part of our biology," Nave said. "Life events still influence our behaviors, yet we must acknowledge the power of personality in understanding future behavior as well."

Future research will "help us understand how personality is related to behavior as well as examine the extent to which we may be able to change our personality," Nave said.
Back to top Go down
Bugs

Bugs

Hobbies : Yes
Humor : Yes
Super Powers : Zap! Pow! Kerrang! Number of posts : 4
pennies : 6
Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests   Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 4:50 pm

I can blow this argument out of the water immediately - as I have a personality but I was never in a first grade!

Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.lindisfarne.proboards.com
Jats

Jats

Number of posts : 476
pennies : 510
Rep : 30

PostSubject: Re: Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests   Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 5:16 am

and here was me thinking it was all to do with toes, a repost...

"...and I'm sure there is something weird about having that toe, whatever it's called, bigger than your big toe, some mental indicator, I'm sure I read that somewhere on the internet once, so I hope they don't belong to someone you know. Job's you couldn't do then..." choosing his own tangent "...choropodist. I don't mind feet, just couldn't do other peoples feet all day, and truly baffles me, thinking about it only now really, how we have celebrated the ability to put one foot in front of the other and turned it into a celebration out of control with the foot adornment department. No doubt there has been some kind of study that I could reference too, Harvard 1977 or something perhaps, and someone once asked me if being on the internet had changed me, and at the time I didn't think it had, but I do now find myself in real life having Google pauses, where as in writing I would go away and look it up, dolling out the facts as if I had not missed a beat, in conversation my factual justification comes out as 'er... er... I'm sure I read something about it on the internet once', see everyone's a genius now, thanks to the internet..."

Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests Bearwithbreasts
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests   Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 8:04 pm

Bugs wrote:
I can blow this argument out of the water immediately - as I have a personality but I was never in a first grade!

Wink
maybe you have no personality idunno
Back to top Go down
Jats

Jats

Number of posts : 476
pennies : 510
Rep : 30

PostSubject: Re: Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests   Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 9:02 pm

"...he is English, of course he has a personality, we invented those..."
Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests Monkeyfaceposhwallpaper
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests   Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 6:20 pm

i wonder if he knows marry poppins
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Hobbies : Sleep/Photography
Humor : Seinfeld (show) has it all!
Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905
pennies : 3262
Rep : 97

PostSubject: Re: Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests   Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 6:51 pm

KK wrote:
Bugs wrote:

Wink
maybe you have no personality idunno

I have to say Bugs has a great personality. I've seen it in his post on several boards. The thought your personality is set at such a young age sounds like someone waisted a lot of money on a study nobody can prove right or wrong. I think your life experiences sets your personality as you grow up. That;s why different people take different paths through life. But I donlt have a wasteful study to back it up.
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests   Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 7:37 pm

ack.... I've changed many times ...and I no longer think all the crayons are mine, all mine !!
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests   Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 11:15 am

c/thru wrote:
ack.... I've changed many times ...and I no longer think all the crayons are mine, all mine !!
i stuck with the textbook version, i got to first grade and stopped developing
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Hobbies : Sleep/Photography
Humor : Seinfeld (show) has it all!
Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905
pennies : 3262
Rep : 97

PostSubject: Re: Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests   Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 2:51 am

Hum...I knew it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests   Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade, Study Suggests Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1