Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had

Go down 
+2
Lady Snipe Dragon
KK
6 posters
AuthorMessage
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had Empty
PostSubject: Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had   Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 2:37 pm

geez, one messed up family

CHICAGO – Oprah Winfrey recently learned she has a half-sister — a Milwaukee woman who was put up for adoption by Winfrey's mother nearly 50 years ago.

On "The Oprah Winfrey Show" that aired Monday, a sometimes-emotional Winfrey introduced a woman she identified only as Patricia, explaining how the woman's years-long search for her family culminated in a meeting with Winfrey on Thanksgiving Day of last year.

The discovery is "the miracle of all miracles," Winfrey told her audience.

Winfrey said she was stunned to learn about the sibling, telling her audience that when Patricia was born in 1963, Winfrey was 8 years old and living with her father. She did not even know her mother was pregnant.

Patricia said she had tried years ago to learn the identity of the woman who gave her up for adoption, and only started to try again a few years ago at the insistence of her two adult children, who also appeared on Monday's show.

Patricia said she feared her search would be fruitless after she got a telephone call from the state adoption agency, which reported that her birth mother had been contacted and did not wish to meet her.

But, coincidentally, on the local news that day, she saw a story about Winfrey's mother, who described how two of her children had died. Those details matched information Patricia had seen in adoption papers, which indicated she had two sisters and a brother, and that only the older sister was alive.

Winfrey's mother, Vernita Lee, also disclosed that one of the deceased children was named Patricia.

More in Entertainment
The New Royals: Insight on Prince William & Kate Middleton's wedding
Full coverage of the royal wedding on Yahoo! News
Complete entertainment coverage"The hairs on the back of my neck stood up," Patricia said. "Because I knew one of my siblings and I shared the same name."

Later, she found more details that matched, including the fact that Winfrey was born in 1954, the same year as the woman Patricia knew was her surviving sibling.

Winfrey, who said DNA tests confirmed that the two are half-sisters, met with Patricia and their mother in a pre-recorded segment of the show.

Lee, who recently suffered a minor stroke, said she never told Winfrey about her half-sister, "because I thought it was a terrible thing for me to do, that I had done, gave up my daughter when she was born."

Winfrey said documents from the girl's birth reveal that Lee gave up the baby for adoption because she did not think she could get off welfare if she kept the child.

"I made the decision to give her up because I wasn't able to take care of her. So when I left the hospital, I told the nurse I wasn't going to keep the baby."

Winfrey said she was particularly stunned by the news because of the way it came out. She said Patricia had known since 2007 that the two were related, but she never attempted to profit off her discovery or contact the press, even as she tried unsuccessfully to contact Winfrey, her mother or others in Winfrey's family.

"She never once thought to sell the story," Winfrey said, describing how she felt betrayed by other relatives who sought publicity.

Patricia said she didn't consider revealing that she and Winfrey were half-sisters to anyone but Winfrey, explaining that she did not want to hurt Winfrey.

"Family business should be handled by family," Patricia said. "It couldn't be handled by anyone else. That's not fair. It wouldn't be fair to you."

Winfrey recalled how her other sister revealed to the press years ago that Winfrey had had a baby when she was a teenager. The baby, Winfrey has said, died shortly after birth. And she talked about putting her sister in rehab twice for drug addiction, but that her sister ultimately died.

"It feels to me like you are Pat on her very best day," Winfrey told the woman. "You are what she wanted to be without the drugs."

Back to top Go down
Lady Snipe Dragon

Lady Snipe Dragon

Hobbies : Posting
Humor : None at all
Super Powers : Can find a smiley for most any occasion Number of posts : 901
pennies : 1009
Rep : 32

PostSubject: Re: Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had   Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 5:18 pm

I would be her sister for part of her money..
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had   Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 5:21 pm

Lady Snipe Dragon wrote:
i'd even suffer through her show for part of her money
Back to top Go down
gin rumy

Number of posts : 117
pennies : 122
Rep : 5

PostSubject: Re: Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had   Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 10:15 pm

KK wrote:
Lady Snipe Dragon wrote:
i'd even suffer through her show for part of her money
I heard she was retiring from her show.
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had   Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 1:25 pm

it's weird that after all the related shows Oprah has done on long lost siblings, her Mother still kept the secret
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had   Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 1:30 pm

c/thru wrote:
it's weird that after all the related shows Oprah has done on long lost siblings, her Mother still kept the secret
i saw a pic of the two of them standing together. no doubt that's her sister. and yes you have to wonder why the mother remained silent.
Back to top Go down
Edelweiss

Edelweiss

Humor : yes
Number of posts : 405
pennies : 536
Rep : 65

PostSubject: Re: Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had   Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 1:35 pm

KK wrote:
c/thru wrote:
i saw a pic of the two of them standing together. no doubt that's her sister. and yes you have to wonder why the mother remained silent.

Guilt and shame
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had   Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Edelweiss wrote:
KK wrote:
c/thru wrote:

Guilt and shame
more like being allocated a smaller slice of the pie
Back to top Go down
gin rumy

PostSubject: Re: Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had   Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 9:59 pm

KK wrote:
c/thru wrote:
I saw it too. Dead ringers
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had   Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 11:19 pm

gin rumy wrote:
KK wrote:
c/thru wrote:
not a very pretty picture
Back to top Go down
gin rumy

PostSubject: Re: Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had   Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 10:10 pm

KK wrote:
gin rumy wrote:
KK wrote:
c/thru wrote:
One Oprah is enough.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had   Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 2:24 pm

gin rumy wrote:
KK wrote:
gin rumy wrote:
KK wrote:
c/thru wrote:
One Oprah is enough.
she has her own network now? wtf?
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Hobbies : Sleep/Photography
Humor : Seinfeld (show) has it all!
Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905
pennies : 3262
Rep : 97

PostSubject: Re: Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had   Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 11:08 pm

Not suprised with the new sister but suprised it took her at least 2/3 years to get through to Oprah. Her people just dismissed her as a crank. Glad she is going to her own network because I don;t get it. 25 years of Oprah is enough. I rarely have watched in the last 10 years. Only watched when she had someone on I wanted to see. Which isn't often I might add. slowWaveHi
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had   Oprah Winfrey finds sister she didn't know she had Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1