Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers Empty
PostSubject: Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers   Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 3:38 pm

A new study indicates that immigrant workers have found jobs faster than their native-born counterparts after the economic downturn in 2008.

Between June 2009 and June 2010, the unemployment rate among native-born workers rose to 9.7 percent, from 9.2 percent. Among immigrants over the same period, the rate fell to 8.7 percent, from 9.3 percent, the Pew Hispanic Center report notes.

So what's going on?

For one thing, immigrants--legal and illegal--are more flexible during an economic downturn because they are more willing to move to where jobs are, policy analyst Aaron Terrazas of the Migration Policy Institute tells The Upshot. Because illegal immigrants don't qualify for unemployment insurance, they often have no choice but to get another job, even if it's very low paid, part time or otherwise undesirable. Immigrants "tend to respond more quickly to mismatches in the economy" than native workers do, Terrazas says.
This says it all. they get jobs because they have to. They have no other option. And this is why social entitlement programs in our country are a failure. They become a lifestyle. There is no incentice to get a job.

This flexibility explains why median immigrant pay has plunged 4.5 percent from 2009 to 2010, while native-born workers' wages have remained flat.

Recessions also tend to hit immigrants before they hit native-born workers, so job losses fell on the immigrant community as early as 2007. Native-born workers did not begin feeling the effects until fall 2008.

Though illegal immigration has been falling since 2005, the report may become a talking point among politicians who advocate stricter controls on immigration. Terrazas says politicians have not picked up on the slowdown in illegal and legal immigration as the economy at large has faltered. (Read more about how the recession sparked a global crackdown on immigrants.)

Michael Lind of the nonpartisan New America Foundation think tank says the report may be used to stoke anti-immigrant sentiment. The Pew study debunks the frequent contention that illegal immigrants take jobs that Americans don't want--like seasonal fruit picking on a farm, for example. Pew researchers found that immigrants have been gaining jobs in the education and health care sectors.

"If the foreign-born are making gains in health care and education, then a much stronger case can be made that they're competing with American workers," Lind says.

The report also shows that native-born workers need to become flexible in order to bounce back from the recession, Lind argues. Because unemployment benefits are state-based, laid-off workers often cannot move to better job markets in the same way that nonqualifying immigrants can.

(Photo: Migrant farm workers in Arizona/AP)
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers   Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 9:01 pm

Thanks KK for loading us up ...

I gotta go make a few discussion posts at one of my online classes by Midnight

I'll be back later and see whatcha found for us to banter about ...or troll cheesy
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers   Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 9:26 pm

c/thru wrote:
Thanks KK for loading us up ...

I gotta go make a few discussion posts at one of my online classes by Midnight

I'll be back later and see whatcha found for us to banter about ...or troll cheesy
considering tomorow night is election night I should be flooding the boards with propoganda
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

PostSubject: Re: Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers   Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 1:26 am

Oh jeez...that's another I gotta do tonight/tomorrow !!!

I still have quit a few issues to research coz I can't make up my mind

I think we should get a little stipend for voting huh?
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers   Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 9:37 am

c/thru wrote:
Oh jeez...that's another I gotta do tonight/tomorrow !!!

I still have quit a few issues to research coz I can't make up my mind

I think we should get a little stipend for voting huh?
my strategy is vote the guy out of office who is in office. Believe it or not I am voting for a democratic governor. A guy who's father I hated.
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

PostSubject: Re: Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers   Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 10:24 pm

Back to the OP

we all know that a lot of immigrants will take the jobs spoiled US citizens look down on

Why are we so spoiled ?

good point-to analogy about why welfare doesn't work as well as we would like, KK
I agree ...
although I know of a few that look past the easy money and have a sense of pride that
motivates them to find another way

I think attending college or trade school classes, at least part time should also be mandatory to receive benefits
jeez...a lot of helpful classes can be done online

~~~
What I really wanna know is where are all these sick people getting all the money to support all of these MMJ
businesses ?? We have so many, 2 on every block in some areas of town .... the State of Colorado claims they took in around $50,000 in sales tax last month alone, just from MMJ !!!

and is everyone around me stoned, drunk or on psych meds ? ?
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

PostSubject: Re: Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers   Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 10:28 pm

P.S.

I am wearing my "I Voted" sticker I got from the polling place !!!!!!

This is only my 2nd time ever...I just started voting in 2008
so I get excited about the process, not sure why, but I do

it feels all grown-up and shit cheesy
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers   Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 7:57 pm

c/thru wrote:
Back to the OP

we all know that a lot of immigrants will take the jobs spoiled US citizens look down on

Why are we so spoiled ?

good point-to analogy about why welfare doesn't work as well as we would like, KK
I agree ...
although I know of a few that look past the easy money and have a sense of pride that

I think attending college or trade school classes, at least part time should also be mandatory to receive benefits

~~~
What I really wanna know is where are all these sick people getting all the money to support all of these MMJ
businesses ?? We have so many, 2 on every block in some areas of town .... the State of Colorado claims they took in around $50,000 in sales tax last month alone, just from MMJ !!!

california just passed legislation preventing welfare dollars being spent on MMJ and Psychics
Back to top Go down
Edelweiss

Edelweiss

Humor : yes
Number of posts : 405
pennies : 536
Rep : 65

PostSubject: Re: Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers   Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2010 2:28 pm

KK wrote:
c/thru wrote:
Back to the OP

Why are we so spoiled ?

I agree ...

~~~

california just passed legislation preventing welfare dollars being spent on MMJ and Psychics

I'm wondering why MMJ isn't sold at the pharmacy along with the other perscriptions...?
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

PostSubject: Re: Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers   Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Edelweiss wrote:

I'm wondering why MMJ isn't sold at the pharmacy along with the other perscriptions...?

that's next, I'm sure...no way the corps are gonna let easy money slip past ...
they're just letting the riffraff pave the road for them
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers   Immigrants bouncing back from recession faster than native-born workers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1