Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found Empty
PostSubject: 'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found   'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:37 am

drunken worms? wtf?

Scientists have discovered the molecule in the brain that leads to hangovers. The neuropeptide, a brain-signalling molecule, is believed to cause the body to experience withdrawal symptoms as the brain tries to adapt to different intoxication levels.

The neuroscientists from the University of Southampton's School of Biological Sciences studied the simple brains of C. elegans worms, which have a makeup similar enough to the human brain when intoxicated or dependent on alcohol.

What they found was striking.

Basically, when a worm brain (similarly, a human brain) is exposed to drinking over a long period of time, it becomes accustomed to certain intoxication levels. The brain experiences a series of withdrawal symptoms when the drinking stops.

Typically, these hangover symptoms can include anxiety and agitation, even seizures.

"This research showed the worms displaying effects of the withdrawal of alcohol and enables us to define how alcohol affects signalling in nerve circuits which leads to changes in behavior," said professor Lindy Holden-Dye, a neuroscientist of the University's School of Biological Sciences and member of Southampton Neurosciences Group (SoNG), who led the study.

When the worms were given small doses of alcohol during their withdrawal their irritable behaviors eased. Unfortunately, this approach to combating a hangover also increases the chances for alcohol dependency.

Alcohol dependency and abuse are among the most common mental disorders. This study, published in PLoS One journal, showed hope for an average 13 percent of the adult population that suffers from these disorders.

This study identifies where and also how alcohol consumption affect the nervous system and the brain in a way that hasn't been revealed until now.

"This is leading to new ideas for the treatment of alcoholism," Holden-Dye said. "Our study provides a very effective experimental system to tackle this problem."
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Hobbies : Sleep/Photography
Humor : Seinfeld (show) has it all!
Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905
pennies : 3262
Rep : 97

PostSubject: Re: 'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found   'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 1:56 am

I must have a bucket full.
Back to top Go down
BMG

BMG

Humor : Twisted
Number of posts : 2571
pennies : 2320
Rep : 79

PostSubject: Re: 'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found   'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 9:01 am

I think I'll invite a worm over to share a pitcher of margaritas tonight. grin
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: 'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found   'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 1:09 pm

are they trying to say some people are about as smart as a nightcrawler ?
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905

PostSubject: Re: 'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found   'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 2:35 am

Someone told me to put half cans of beer in the garden to keep pest away. Now I have worms flip flopping all over the yard,

C9crackUPslap
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

PostSubject: Re: 'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found   'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 10:03 am

Joebert wrote:
Someone told me to put half cans of beer in the garden to keep pest away. Now I have worms flip flopping all over the yard,

C9crackUPslap
it will get rid of slugs
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: 'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found   'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 4:02 pm

'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found DanswanAllBugs

giggle
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

PostSubject: Re: 'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found   'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 2:41 am

rolling on floor lau lolFlag C9crackUPslap giggle C9peaceGrin whisper thankyou cartwheel

Love the pic...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found   'Hangover' Molecule in Brain Found Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1