Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

I got an "A" anyways !!

Go down 
+2
Jats
c/thru
6 posters
AuthorMessage
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

I got an "A" anyways !! Empty
PostSubject: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2010 12:22 pm

Socrates’ legacy now officially includes me

I had heard the name Socrates before and pondered over quotes posted at various
online forums I banter at, but I had never really delved into who he was until this class.
It’s obvious from my postings in this unit’s discussion that I am perplexed about some
of the praise given to his legend. It was pretty clear to me that I should take some personal
time to study more about Socrates so I could get this chip off my shoulder before I move
forward with my Philosophy studies. Surely I am missing something important, I thought.

I am slightly relieved to find out I am not alone in my concerns, apparently this affliction
is widespread enough to have been given a name: “The Socratic Problem!” I feel better already.
The Standford Encyclopedia of Philosophy includes this statement concerning Socrates :

The Socratic problem is a rat's nest of complexities arising from the fact
that various people wrote about Socrates whose accounts differ in crucial respects,
leaving us to wonder which, if any, are accurate representations of the historical
Socrates. The difficulties are increased because all those who knew and wrote about
Socrates lived before any standardization of modern categories of, or sensibilities about,
what constitutes historical accuracy or poetic license.

I find it so ironic to study the teachings of a man who reportedly wanted the world
to question knowledge and find the truth of the matter come to us through such questionable
methods. I smile again as I wonder if Socrates would also be smiling at these thoughts I’m
having, since Plato says irony tickled Socrates. I hope so, because Stanford also reports that
Socrates was a soldier for awhile and then turned into what we would probably call a hippie,
I bet he’d have to laugh or hurt himself trying to keep a straight face as he explained what
that transition was all about. At least that is the way I picture his demeanor from what I have
read so far, it seemed to me he liked to try to lighten the mood at critical points in a conversation
with a bit of levity. I wonder if that was one of his tactics to appear humble, it’s a thought.

Another bone of contention I have surfaces as I try to reconcile a spiritual mantra
I currently value which says “choose life” with this act of martyrism Socrates seemingly
egged on. Until I can find more empathy for that act, I find it hard to take all of his philosophy
too serious. I do realize to take caution to not throw out the baby with the bathwater, so I
continue to be curious of what lessons I can learn from Socrates…or Plato, or Aristophanes or
Xenophon, whichever the true case may be. The whole thing reminds me of the Bible controversy
or Carlos Castaneda’s enigmatic teacher, don Juan Matus, both of which I already decided it
did not matter if all characters were quoted in an untainted way or even if they really existed,
the message can still have value.

So here I am, including myself into yet another generation of Socrates disciples,
writing tales and opinions about Socrates and trying to get to the heart of the matter.
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2010 12:28 pm

Quote :
XXXX, you have a bright and erudite mind,
I bet it has gotten you into "trouble" a time or two in your life :-)

That said, you are perfectly at "home" in your quandaries and quizzica-ness about "Socrates"
(many scholars are still divided over the likes of Shakespeare and Jesus of Nazareth) so your
perplexities are not all that off base. I think if anything, apart from first impressions and
others "notions" if you would read his dialog's for yourself, you might come away with a new
and different sense...but then again, perhaps not. Great entry, I look forward to many
more equally delightful ones! :-)

LOL.... I think my Philosophy Professor is trolling me coolshadetip

Ok...I gotta go look up his word "erudite" and see what he just called me
Back to top Go down
Jats

Jats

Number of posts : 476
pennies : 510
Rep : 30

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2010 1:19 pm

"...very interesting indeed, welcome to Socrates then a man who gave as much in the complexities of his death as in his life then...and it interested me that you thought he would use levity to appear to be humble and not as a conscious method, wit often being a reliable by product of intelligence, and a most valuable teaching tool, yet sadly lacking in most that choose to teach...." he remembers too well and then adds "...congrats on the A, and I think your teacher is flirting with you not stalking you, all those kisses at the start gave it away...."

I got an "A" anyways !! Tumblr_l8hd3kuAZF1qczxc6o1_400
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2010 5:00 pm

Ha...that was just my informal journal entry he requires, asking us to reflect on our thoughts while reading the chapter...
I posted similiar thoughts in the discussion thread ( some of my classes I take online if I think it's proper, never math stuff though !!!! )
anyways, it was about 4 days before anyone even responded to my entries ....
one question was to offer what you think Socrates' life would be like in this day - most sang his praises
and guessed he would have his own talk show or facebook...LOL....

I suggested that in this evolved age of women's rights, his wife would have divorced him for abandonment
or had him committed for mental observations ...she was reported to be a shrew, I guess that's old school for bitch...hahaha....
yea, we can get that way when our husbands wanna run around tempting fate rather than help take care of domestic responsibilities

anyways, I'll get back to Socrates when I can.... now we're looking more closely at epistemology and on to Kant this chapter
Back to top Go down
Jats

Jats

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2010 5:18 pm

"...hey you get back to studying... loved the divorce scenario, the modern day Socrates then..."

I got an "A" anyways !! Homelessmangoeswireless
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2010 5:25 pm

lolFlag perfect !!!

maybe I can get extra credit for using visual aids

as for studying...Ok, Ok....but when did the print get so small in books ? geez, I had to get my reading classes

which I bought my first pair, very reluctantly, at the dollar store last year ...and ONLY coz they were, well...a dollar and only +100 strength ...and I look kinda studious yet cute in them
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 8:12 pm

i wonder if socrates and plato would know what to make of me
Back to top Go down
Jats

Jats

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 8:39 pm

Quote :

Jats is still smiling thinking of some of Plato's more famous quotes now that are appropriate, still, yet a lesser known one is "How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?" "...Na he would be too busy suing people for nicking all his ideas, than be bothered with the likes of you and me then..." and that reminds Jats to see if a good copy of 'Inception' is available yet, same thing without all that chosen one crap

I got an "A" anyways !! Cap2
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

Number of posts : 570
pennies : 614
Rep : 39

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 5:15 am

"...ah, so this is where that post originated from then..." mentioned the goblin who then suggested Seneca's letter from a stoic to read then, adding "...it's one of the few of them that is easy to read and worth it in my view..."

I got an "A" anyways !! Intellectual-fool-jeff-hall
Back to top Go down
Jats

Jats

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 7:25 am

"...and perhaps discover self then..." as once more Jats does so, as he would care not what Socrates or Plato made of him then, more what he made of himself, as once more he sees a part of it staring back at him now as the rain clatters down at his window making Jats stoically grab his waterproofs and smiling at the rain today, needing it for his next task, perhaps he willed it then

I got an "A" anyways !! Raindance[/img]
Back to top Go down
Giada

Giada

Humor : Good
Number of posts : 2011
pennies : 2069
Rep : 154

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 8:06 pm

c/thru wrote:
lolFlag perfect !!!

as for studying...Ok, Ok....but when did the print get so small in books ? geez, I had to get my reading classes

which I bought my first pair, very reluctantly, at the dollar store last year ...and ONLY coz they were, well...a dollar and only +100 strength ...and I look kinda studious yet cute in them

coolshadetip Wait, I need my glasses to read this. OK. coolPeace Congrats on the A. I'm struggling with Macroeconomics this semester and I can honestly say I don't give a fig about aggregate spending and GDP!
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 8:28 pm

Giada wrote:
c/thru wrote:
lolFlag perfect !!!

coolshadetip Wait, I need my glasses to read this. OK. coolPeace Congrats on the A. I'm struggling with Macroeconomics this semester and I can honestly say I don't give a fig about aggregate spending and GDP!

apparently neither does obama idunno
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 10:28 pm

KK wrote:

Socrates would claim he was actually the first to say "so, I was right then," you'd reply "get a job, you freeloading burden on hardworking taxpayers" giggle

Plato would quote and misquote KKisms

then sometime later, Descartes would revise his basic certitude to "I poast, therefore I am "

Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 10:31 pm

Giada wrote:

well you figure that shit out .... I'll so vote for you

very nice to see you posting again urOK
Back to top Go down
Giada

Giada

Humor : Good
Number of posts : 2011
pennies : 2069
Rep : 154

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 11:49 am

c/thru wrote:
Giada wrote:

well you figure that shit out .... I'll so vote for you

very nice to see you posting again urOK

Thanks. hug Good to be back.
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 10:33 am

bluebump coz this was my best post of the month and I wanna see KK's last word on it cheesy

c/thru wrote:
KK wrote:

Socrates would claim he was actually the first to say "so, I was right then," you'd reply "get a job, you freeloading burden on hardworking taxpayers" giggle

then sometime later, Descartes would revise his basic certitude to "I poast, therefore I am "

Back to top Go down
Jats

Jats

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 11:43 am

"...a brief ray of intellectualism before the troll fest then..." adds Jats knowing he will tag one on mine if not c/thru's then
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 8:00 pm

c/thru wrote:
bluebump coz this was my best post of the month and I wanna see KK's last word on it cheesy

c/thru wrote:
KK wrote:

And I won't let you down. I'll let these guys speak for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijqnsRqSo2k

But seriously, I have to quote you on a job well done Cthru C9crackUPslap
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Hobbies : Sleep/Photography
Humor : Seinfeld (show) has it all!
Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905
pennies : 3262
Rep : 97

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 12:52 am

Give c/thru an A+
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 12:08 pm

I remember taking that class
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I got an "A" anyways !!   I got an "A" anyways !! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I got an "A" anyways !!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cloud 9 Forumn :: Cloud 9 Forum :: Psychobabble-
Jump to: