Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

Newspapers : old & yellow

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

Newspapers : old & yellow Empty
PostSubject: Newspapers : old & yellow   Newspapers : old & yellow Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 10:35 am

Just interesting facts I discovered while playing the game board at Where's Joebert :

Spoiler:

Wiki:
Publick Occurrences Both Forreign and Domestick
was the title of the 1st multi-page Newspaper published in the Americas.

Before then, single-page newspapers, called broadsides, were published in the English colonies and printed in Cambridge in 1689. The first edition was published September 25, 1690, in Boston, Massachusetts, and was intended to be published monthly, "or, if any Glut of Occurrences happen, oftener." It was printed by Richard Pierce and edited by Benjamin Harris (publisher), who had previously published a newspaper in London. The paper contained four six by ten inch pages, and filled only three of them.

No second edition was printed, as the paper was shut down by the government.
The Governor and Council, on Sept. 29th, 1690, issued an order as follows:

"Whereas some have lately presumed to Print and Disperse a Pamphlet, Entitled, Publick Occurrences,
both Forreign and Domestick: Boston, Thursday, Septemb. 25th, 1690. Without the least Privity and
Countenace of Authority. The Governour and Council having had the perusal of said Pamphlet,
and finding that therein contained Reflections of a very high nature: As also sundry doubtful
and uncertain Reports, do hereby manifest and declare their high Resentment and Disallowance
of said Pamphlet, and Order that the same be Suppressed and called in; strickly forbidden any person
or persons for the future to Set forth any thing in Print without License first obtained from those that
are or shall be appointed by the Government to grant the same."

Introduction to Yellow Journalism :
Financial Incentive

The origins of yellow journalism date back to the 1890s.
Facing financial vulnerability after the depression of 1893, the newspapers needed to raise revenue
and garner profit to survive.
An increase in reader following would influence larger companies to seek advertising space in
popular newspapers further boosting revenues. The incorporation of pictures, headlines, and
color sparked interests and led to a larger number of people actually purchasing periodicals to
receive their news rather than relying on word of mouth. Although it was possible to merely use
newspapers to increase sales, there was hungry competition to become the "it" paper leading to
an exploitation of the above techniques to sensationalize stories bringing them from plain and bland
to controversial.
The sensational headlines that became a standard in media is known as Yellow journalism.

The early quest to become the prevalent periodical was most notably fought between
Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst who both used sensational headlines
to raise the sale of their newspapers.

A now infamous line spoken by Hearst shows his utter disregard for participating
in the practice of journalism the way in which it is intended to be practiced.

Wanting to get the description of events occurring overseas, Hearst sent artist Frederic Remington
to record any visual evidence. After a short amount of time with barely any activity, Hearst received
a telegram from Remington to tell him that Cuba was quiet and "There will be no war."

Hearst responded "Please remain. You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war."

Timeline of News Journalism

1608:
First English reporter in the colonies, Captain John Smith, leader of the Jamestown settlement,
publishes his newsletter Newes from Virginia

1690:
First American newspaper, Publick Occurrences, Both Foreign and Domestick, is published in Boston

1769:
Printing presses are made in America by Isaac Doolittle of Connecticut

1835:
The New York Herald introduces new newspaper sections devoted to money, sports, society news,
letters, and reviews and publishes “extras” or special editions to cover significant news

mid-1840s:
Telegraph used to convey news at a distance

1880-1900:
Bigger and faster presses are developed to print more copies of papers in less time in order to
meet tighter deadlines and serve the growing number of readers

Photographs begin to appear in newspapers

1890s:
Sensationalism, known as yellow journalism, is used to win papers more readers

1900-1925:
Political cartoons offer commentary on the news in many newspapers

1950s:
People begin to turn to television for the news

1960-1990:
Investigative reporters uncover information about the activities of the government and other
groups and offer interpretations of events and issues, such as organized crime, the Pentagon Papers,
and Watergate.

1990s:
Reporters are able to file stories from around the world immediately using lap-top computers
and modems or via satellite

source
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

PostSubject: Re: Newspapers : old & yellow   Newspapers : old & yellow Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 9:02 pm

i really wondre how much journalism is manufactured
Back to top Go down
Edelweiss

Edelweiss

Humor : yes
Number of posts : 405
pennies : 536
Rep : 65

PostSubject: Re: Newspapers : old & yellow   Newspapers : old & yellow Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 9:47 am

I love this ad rolling on floor lau

A Case of Mistaken Identity
A personal ad recently ran in a local paper
It read:
Single female seeking male companionship
Im a very good looking girl who loves to play
I love walks in the woods, rides in pickup trucks, hunting, camping and fishing.
and especially cuddling on cold winter nights by a fire.
Candlelight dinners will have me eating out of the palm of your hand.
I will be at the front door each night when you come home.
Waiting for you.
Call and ask for Daisy

well more than 15,000 men called
and found themselves talking to the Humane Society asking about a 8 month old puppy

Newspapers : old & yellow Animat10
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: Newspapers : old & yellow   Newspapers : old & yellow Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 11:00 am

lolFlag

rec
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Hobbies : Sleep/Photography
Humor : Seinfeld (show) has it all!
Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905
pennies : 3262
Rep : 97

PostSubject: Re: Newspapers : old & yellow   Newspapers : old & yellow Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 10:55 pm

Hope one took the puppy they sure are a lot cheaper giggle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newspapers : old & yellow   Newspapers : old & yellow Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newspapers : old & yellow
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cloud 9 Forumn :: Cloud 9 Forum :: Politics & News-
Jump to: