Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse?

Go down 
+2
KK
c/thru
6 posters
AuthorMessage
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse? Empty
PostSubject: Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse?   Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 1:16 pm

coffee
Another riveting debate on the truth of addictions :

HYPERSEXUALITY ?

By Kathleen Masterson
march 5, 2010

The proposed hypersexual disorder would be categorized alongside other sexual disorders,
such as fetishistic disorder and exhibitionistic disorder.

Criteria for hypersexual disorder would include spending a lot of time consumed by
sexual fantasies and repetitively engaging in these sexual fantasies in response to
stress, anxiety, boredom or depression. The person also makes repeated but unsuccessful
attempts to control the behavior, and engages in the behavior disregarding the risk of
physical or emotional harm for himself or others.

And, to be diagnosed with hypersexuality, this behavior would have to cause the person
significant distress or impairment.

That last criterion is the kicker --
the person needs to present with "clinically significant personal distress." And how do you measure that --
as opposed to say, a politician who is caught sleeping with another woman and blames a sex addiction?

Drawing the line between guilty indiscretions and an actual mental disorder has a lot of the public skeptical.

"It's not often a condition you can tell from afar," says Kafka. "The only way to know if it's a
moral excuse or a real disorder takes knowing the person, the extent of the behaviors, have
they tried to control it, what risks have they taken."

Typically, when a new mental disorder gets added into the DSM, its inclusion stimulates a
good deal of research on the topic. If accepted, the new definition could help garner more
scientific attention.

History:

Sex addiction, nymphomania or sexual compulsion might sound like the stuff of novels or
over-hyped celebrity angst. Yet excessive sexual behaviors have been documented for over
two centuries in American medical literature.

In fact, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, Benjamin Rush, wrote about
it in his book Medical Inquiries and Observations upon the Diseases of the Mind, the first
textbook of mental illness in the U.S.

Rush wrote that sexual appetite, "when excessive, becomes a disease both of the body and mind."

He also concluded that "promiscuous intercourse with the female sex" or excessive masturbation
could cause impotence, dyspepsia, vertigo, dimness of sight, memory loss, and even death.

(He didn't mention the risk of political downfall, loss of sponsorships, or inescapable media obsession.)

Still, even though excessive sexual behavior has been described for a long time, it has yet to be
officially recognized by the psychiatrists' bible, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).
Instead, the category resides in the book's appendix.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

PostSubject: Re: Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse?   Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 2:24 pm

ah, so that's my problem
Back to top Go down
jjjamesjchrist

jjjamesjchrist

Hobbies : lexi
Humor : yes
Super Powers : levitation and mesmerization Number of posts : 885
pennies : 741
Rep : 120

PostSubject: Re: Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse?   Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 6:22 pm

i believe that people can get addicted to pretty much anything. but i also think that there needs to be personal responsibility taken as a part of getting out from under. like anything, it can be used as an excuse also, but that is all the more evil because it diminishes those who really ARE addicted in many ways.
Back to top Go down
java

java

Number of posts : 3126
pennies : 2097
Rep : 58

PostSubject: Re: Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse?   Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 6:36 pm

Good afternoon. My name is java and I'm a toothbrush addict.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse?   Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 10:39 pm

jamesjchrist wrote:
i believe that people can get addicted to pretty much anything. but i also think that there needs to be personal responsibility taken as a part of getting out from under. like anything, it can be used as an excuse also, but that is all the more evil because it diminishes those who really ARE addicted in many ways.
there are physical and mental addictions. either is equally addicting. mental is tough to break. even with a physical addiction, once you get past it, the mental part is what draws you back
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Hobbies : Sleep/Photography
Humor : Seinfeld (show) has it all!
Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905
pennies : 3262
Rep : 97

PostSubject: Re: Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse?   Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 12:07 am

I'm just gklad it's Tiger and not me.
Back to top Go down
Wallstone

Wallstone

Hobbies : marine biology/architecture
Humor : You be the judge
Number of posts : 1000
pennies : 869
Rep : 41

PostSubject: Re: Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse?   Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 12:19 am

Quote :
He also concluded that "promiscuous intercourse with the female sex" or excessive masturbation
could cause impotence, dyspepsia, vertigo, dimness of sight, memory loss, and even death.

Hmmm...I'm feeling dizzy, and where did I put my glasses?
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Hobbies : Sleep/Photography
Humor : Seinfeld (show) has it all!
Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905
pennies : 3262
Rep : 97

PostSubject: Re: Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse?   Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 4:46 am

Wallstone wrote:
Quote :

Wht were we talking about?
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse?   Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 12:21 pm

Joebert wrote:
Wallstone wrote:
Quote :

Wht were we talking about?
sex
Back to top Go down

Sex Addiction: A Disease Or An Excuse?
Page 1 of 1