Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

Is the American Military Too Christian?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

Is the American Military Too Christian? Empty
PostSubject: Is the American Military Too Christian?   Is the American Military Too Christian? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 6:15 pm

Feb. 1, 2010
katie Drummond

The Pentagon has been pushing religious tolerance for decades, but several separate
incidents in recent months are reinvigorating advocates who worry that the U.S. military is being
controlled by a small but powerful subculture of evangelical Christians.

Last year, former NFL player Terry Bradshaw starred in an official military video that espoused
"the importance of faith" in combating post-deployment depression.

In January, news broke that a Michigan company had been inscribing coded references to the
New Testament on high-powered rifle sights sold to the U.S. military. Weeks later, a giant cross
was placed in the center of a newly constructed pagan worship site at Colorado's Air Force Academy,
built to accommodate practicing Wiccans.

And those are only the incidents that have gone on within our borders. In May, Harper's Magazine
published a 13-page expose that included provocative details on war-zone religiosity in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Now, advocates for religious equality in the military are speaking out over yet another incident.
Focus on the Family, an evangelical group known for its recent Super Bowl ad featuring football star
Tim Tebow, has had a lucrative arrangement with the Pentagon to host seminars and marriage conferences
for personnel. Next week, at least two bases will partake in an all-day Focus on the Family simulcast
being broadcast to 300 churches nationwide.

The simulcast, like any religious event, ritual or celebration within the military, is technically voluntary.
But dozens of base members have complained about "aggressive" e-mails from chaplains and
commanders who "strongly suggest" they attend.

In an e-mail, one unnamed base member wrote of Focus on Family:

"This isn't just a religious organization, it's a political organization.
At what point did it become appropriate or even remotely acceptable to use government facilities
to promote a very specific political religious agenda?"

LINK to more on the story
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

PostSubject: Re: Is the American Military Too Christian?   Is the American Military Too Christian? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 10:26 pm

imo, if i am in the act of defending my country, you sure better allow me to excercise my first amendment right.
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Hobbies : Sleep/Photography
Humor : Seinfeld (show) has it all!
Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905
pennies : 3262
Rep : 97

PostSubject: Re: Is the American Military Too Christian?   Is the American Military Too Christian? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 2:39 am

What were the basics this great country was founded on?
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

PostSubject: Re: Is the American Military Too Christian?   Is the American Military Too Christian? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 9:05 pm

Joebert wrote:
What were the basics this great country was founded on?

in the year of our lord........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the American Military Too Christian?   Is the American Military Too Christian? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1