Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

They just don't make financial crises like they used to make 'em...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
joe

joe

Number of posts : 426
pennies : 3
Rep : 2

They just don't make financial crises like they used to make 'em... Empty
PostSubject: They just don't make financial crises like they used to make 'em...   They just don't make financial crises like they used to make 'em... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 10:30 am

They just don't make financial crises like they used to make 'em... Hoover_540
Two young residents passed the time at a Hooverville shantytown in Washington, D.C., in 1932. MPI/Getty Images

Commentary
They Don't Make Financial Crises Like They Used To

by Paula Poundstone

Click here to LISTEN NOW (2 min 37 sec)

Morning Edition, October 1, 2008 · I keep hearing our current financial crisis compared to that of the 1930s, which I don't know that much about, though I did just reread The Grapes of Wrath to prepare for the challenges ahead.

The good news is that after the foreclosure, when we pack the truck, there's a way of folding Grandma so the kids won't even notice she's dead. I, myself, however would rather just die than take a pull off of Rose of Sharon's breast if it comes down to it.

Gee, this stuff is hard to follow. I don't think I even know how many zeros are in a trillion. But after listening to the candidates, I realized I can't count on the powers that be to explain the nature of the financial crisis, and it will be up to me to inform myself.

So I turned to It's A Wonderful Life for background on liquidity and solvency, which would have filled me with hope if I didn't have a bad feeling that we've already spent George and Mary Bailey's honeymoon funds.

Unfortunately, although Clarence the angel offers some lessons for these troubled times, our problem it seems stems from mortgage-backed securities, which are very complicated instruments that even greedy Mr. Potter wouldn't have understood well enough to go near.

You and I are about to invest $700 billion in them.

George Bailey jumped off a bridge, and Uncle Billy was driven to the brink of insanity over the loss of eight grand. So what do we learn? We're tougher than they were in the old days.

Lucky thing for me I have The Waltons television series on video. I showed it to my kids and told them they're going to have to wear overalls soon but that the only thing they have to fear is fear itself.

I don't want to be the one to spook the herd, but when I hear President George W. Bush say the government's measures require putting a significant amount of taxpayers' money on the line, and that it entails risk but they expect it'll eventually be paid back, I fear I do have fear.

It could only be scarier if he asked Colin Powell to present it to us using satellite photography.

Perhaps now, when our trust in him is so important, Bush wishes he hadn't been so abusive of it before. That happened to Jim Bob Walton once. He said he didn't burn down the woodshed, but he did, so the family couldn't trust him after that. He didn't ask for $700 billion in the next episode either.

I hope the candidates saw that one.

Related NPR Stories

May 31, 2008
Choice Moments from Tom and Paula
Dec. 30, 2006
When Panelists Work Together
Nov. 20, 2006
The Ups and Downs of Paula Poundstone
Nov. 17, 2006
The Case of the Disappearing Mathematician

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95111080
Back to top Go down
Madison

Madison

Hobbies : reconciling c/thru
Humor : sexist
Super Powers : faux feminism reparations Number of posts : 621
pennies : 299
Rep : 20

PostSubject: Re: They just don't make financial crises like they used to make 'em...   They just don't make financial crises like they used to make 'em... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 10:58 am

I have always liked Paula ....commentator now, huh?

her routine after her big meltdown and road to recovery was very funny
Back to top Go down
java

java

Number of posts : 3126
pennies : 2097
Rep : 58

PostSubject: Re: They just don't make financial crises like they used to make 'em...   They just don't make financial crises like they used to make 'em... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 11:02 am

I wasn't aware she had a meltdown... but I just found this long self-analysis she wrote about it, which I'll save so I can savor it later... she has a way with words.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6514227
Back to top Go down
Madison

Madison

Hobbies : reconciling c/thru
Humor : sexist
Super Powers : faux feminism reparations Number of posts : 621
pennies : 299
Rep : 20

PostSubject: Re: They just don't make financial crises like they used to make 'em...   They just don't make financial crises like they used to make 'em... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 11:15 am

here's some of it on youtube... kinda long...
but it has a few of the best lines from her recovery comic routine she ran for awhile...

I think it was on HBO or something...maybe she toured with it... it was about 45 minutes long, I believe...
with non-stop laughing, for sure

Back to top Go down
java

java

Number of posts : 3126
pennies : 2097
Rep : 58

PostSubject: Re: They just don't make financial crises like they used to make 'em...   They just don't make financial crises like they used to make 'em... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 11:32 am

rolling on floor lau
Paula Poundstone puts Spencer Christian in hysterics!

... jump to 3:40, which is where it really starts gettin' good... giggle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: They just don't make financial crises like they used to make 'em...   They just don't make financial crises like they used to make 'em... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

They just don't make financial crises like they used to make 'em...
Page 1 of 1