Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes Empty
PostSubject: Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes   Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 8:46 pm

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Politicians across the country keep finding ways to skirt campaign-finance laws, using ballot-measure committees and other avenues to raise millions in unregulated contributions, according to a report issued Tuesday by a California-based think tank.

The Center for Governmental Studies in Los Angeles said legal defense funds, inaugural and leadership committees, donations to favored charities, contributions from political parties and reimbursed travel expenses are among the other "loopholes, tricks and end runs" used to thwart regulations.

Meanwhile, unlimited donations to politicians through committees they control create the appearance of undue influence for large donors and erode public confidence in government, the report stated.

In California, where donations to governors and gubernatorial candidates are limited to $25,900 per election cycle, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger raised more than $6.5 million in the first six months of 2009, including 23 contributions of $100,000 or more.

The money went to Schwarzenegger's California Dream Team, a general-purpose political fund that he sometimes has used to pay for ballot-measure campaigns.

Adam Mendelsohn, a political spokesman for the governor, said Schwarzenegger has a history of taking positions that are contrary to many of his supporters if he believes they are in the best interest of California.

Schwarzenegger became the most prolific campaign fundraiser in California history, taking in more than $125 million in a four-year span. Yet Mendelsohn said the Republican governor has repeatedly called for campaign-finance reform since taking office in 2003.

"He has said they need to ban fundraising during budget season. He signed the bill most recently (for) the initiative that would create public financing for the Secretary of State's office," Mendelsohn said. "Every year that he's been in office he's called for campaign-finance reform, but the bills have not made it on his desk."

The center spent a year reviewing political fundraising and spending nationwide, finding that loopholes are used even in states that have taken steps to control donations.

In Alaska, according to the report, four mining companies donated to an inauguration committee for Sarah Palin, then the governor-elect, but state law did not require them to disclose how much they contributed. The fund paid for expenses such as inaugural balls and travel for Palin and her family.

Companies also gain access to politicians by bankrolling travel. In Wisconsin, several corporations spent thousands of dollars to send Republican lawmakers to a meeting of the American Legislative Exchange Council in Chicago, the report said.

"Not every state has all these problems, but no state is completely immune from these fundraising end runs by elected officials and candidates," the report stated.

The Center for Governmental Studies found that legal defense funds often turn into just another fundraising source. It pointed to such a fund established to help California state Sen. Ron Calderon, D-Monterey Park, after election results were challenged.

Although his opponent conceded two days after a July 2006 recount began, Calderon raised more than $165,000 in his legal defense fund from September through the end of 2006. It said $62,000 was spent on fundraising events at golf resorts, $12,000 went to credit card payments and almost $39,000 was paid for campaign consultants, while only about $35,000 paid for legal and accounting services from 2006 through 2007.

Calderon's chief of staff, Rocky Rushing, said Calderon followed the law. He said the spending was audited by the California Fair Political Practices Commission, which found no wrongdoing.

The commission subsequently changed its rules on legal defense funds. Since January 2008, lawmakers who set up such funds have been required to identify the specific legal dispute they are raising money for and must spend the money only on attorneys fees and other related legal costs.

If more than $5,000 remains unspent, the candidate is now required to return the money to donors on a pro-rata basis, according to the agency.

The Center for Governmental Studies said it launched its study because it is clear that 30 years of campaign reforms are no longer sufficient to keep tabs on politicians. It's proposing a model for campaign finance laws that presumes all money candidates or elected officials receive is for a political purpose.

Under that model, politicians would be required to disclose any contributions of more than $100 and would be prohibited from using political money for personal purposes. Legal defense funds would be treated separately from other contributions and travel reimbursement would be limited.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes   Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 8:48 pm

The lawmakers are finding ways to break their own laws. how can we ever expect them to legislate banks and business?
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Hobbies : Sleep/Photography
Humor : Seinfeld (show) has it all!
Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905
pennies : 3262
Rep : 97

PostSubject: Re: Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes   Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 4:24 am

This comes as no surprise.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes   Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 1:11 pm

i'm telling you, vote them out in 2010
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905

PostSubject: Re: Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes   Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 12:47 am

KK wrote:

Tell that to the idiots that voted them in.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes   Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 11:53 am

Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:

i'm telling it to any one who will listen. they have already lost a good percentage of the swing vote
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

PostSubject: Re: Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes   Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 4:15 am

KK wrote:
Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:

i'm telling it to any one who will listen. they have already lost a good percentage of the swing vote

I thing the votes will swing the other way in the next election. But we are screwed til then.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes   Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 6:40 pm

Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:
Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:

I thing the votes will swing the other way in the next election. But we are screwed til then.

the danger is if they path a healthcare bill it will be spun as a positve. the real damage doesn't start to kick in until after the next election. look at the garbage hyp in the media already about obama's amazing victory. nothing has happened yet. the house and the senate passed to very diferents plans.
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

PostSubject: Re: Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes   Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 2:06 am

KK wrote:
Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:
Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:

the danger is if they path a healthcare bill it will be spun as a positve. the real damage doesn't start to kick in until after the next election. look at the garbage hyp in the media already about obama's amazing victory. nothing has happened yet. the house and the senate passed to very diferents plans.

The press people are idiots too. Create hype and sell newspapers.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes   Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 2:10 am

Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:
Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:
Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:

news is no longer news, it's opinion
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

PostSubject: Re: Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes   Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 2:12 am

KK wrote:
Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:
Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:
Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:

news is no longer news, it's opinion

Ever watch the late night talk/news shows ike Nancy Grace.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes   Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 2:16 am

Ever watch the late night talk/news shows ike Nancy Grace.[/quote] no. i rarely watch tv
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

PostSubject: Re: Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes   Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 4:39 am

KK wrote:
no. i rarely watch tv[/quote]

They like to Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes 334199
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes   Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 10:41 am

Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:
no. i rarely watch tv

They like to Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes 334199[/quote]

sure, it's the gossip mentality
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

PostSubject: Re: Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes   Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 3:02 am

KK wrote:
Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:
no. i rarely watch tv

They like to Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes 334199

sure, it's the gossip mentality[/quote]

over and over and over and over...it does get old.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes   Report: Campaign finance laws full of loopholes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1