Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Empty
PostSubject: White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children   White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 10:01 pm

Too funny!

White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children PH2009081003128

Jasmine Messiah, 8, says her Florida school doesn't offer vegan or vegetarian options for lunch. (Physicians Committee For Responsible Medicine)
TOOLBOX
Resize Print E-mail Yahoo! Buzz

COMMENT
886 Comments | View All »
POST A COMMENT
You must be logged in to leave a comment. Log in | Register
Why Do I Have to Log In Again?
Log In Again? CLOSEWe've made some updates to washingtonpost.com's Groups, MyPost and comment pages. We need you to verify your MyPost ID by logging in before you can post to the new pages. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Discussion PolicyYour browser's settings may be preventing you from commenting on and viewing comments about this item. See instructions for fixing the problem.
Discussion Policy CLOSEComments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.

Who's Blogging» Links to this article
By Kate Kilpatrick and Ruth McCann
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The posters went up last week, 14 in Union Station. On each of the large displays, a thought bubble rises up from a picture of a beautiful 8-year-old: "President Obama's daughters get healthy school lunches. Why don't I?"

A Washington nonprofit that advocates nutrition-policy reform paid $20,000 to get its message across and carefully maneuvered Metro's tangle of regulations to display its posters. Metro gave it a go -- but the White House did not, according to the group. Within 24 hours of the signs' appearance, the White House asked the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine to take down the ads, which feature Jasmine Messiah, a vegetarian who attends a Miami-Dade County public school that, she says, offers no vegetarian or vegan lunch options.

The Physicians Committee has declined to take down the posters.

PCRM President Neal Barnard, a nutrition researcher, says he received a phone call regarding the posters Aug. 4 (a day after they went up) from Associate Counsel Karen Dunn and Deputy Associate Counsel Ian Bassin.

"They're very nice people. I like them a lot," Barnard says. "But they called and said: Please take those down, you can't mention the kids and so forth. . . . They felt that mentioning the president's children was off-limits. They said [they're] not going to allow the use of their daughters as leverage."

The fact that the poster mentions the president's children has been the main point of contention, though neither the children's names nor their images appear. That reaction doesn't come as a complete surprise; when Ty Inc. marketed dolls in January named Sweet Sasha and Marvelous Malia, the first lady made her objections clear, and the toy company stopped using the girls' names. The First Lady's Office declined to comment for this story.

To Frank Luntz, a Republican political consultant, the White House's response to the posters is hardly shocking.

"The children of the president are always off-limits. Always. No exceptions," Luntz says. "No ifs, ands or buts. And while it may draw short-term attention to the issue, the White House will hate the organization for it. And I assure you they will be punished. You don't mess with the president's children. It's an unwritten rule."

Luntz says that the added publicity from the White House's response will not benefit PCRM's agenda. "What matters is not whether people are aware of your campaign," he says. "What matters is your success. And if the White House hates you, then it's not successful."

"I do not think you can use the president's daughters for some cause -- good or otherwise -- that they don't play a role in," says Bonnie Angelo, a former White House correspondent for Time magazine and author of "First Families: The Impact of the White House on Their Lives."

"It's very hard for the presidential family to keep their daughters balanced in terms of getting too much exposure, and I think the Obamas have done a remarkable job of achieving that balance," Angelo says. "I think this goes beyond what's allowable."

Barnard is still in communication with the Office of the White House Counsel, which asked Barnard to remain "open" to further discussion. He says he is.
Back to top Go down
Giada

Giada

Humor : Good
Number of posts : 2011
pennies : 2069
Rep : 154

PostSubject: Re: White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children   White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 11:09 pm

Oh please, lil Moesha just wants her collard greens like the Obama girls.
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Hobbies : Sleep/Photography
Humor : Seinfeld (show) has it all!
Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905
pennies : 3262
Rep : 97

PostSubject: Re: White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children   White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 4:42 am

Giada wrote:

Is that all they have to bitch about. Wait till they are back out on the street again.
Back to top Go down
Giada

Giada

PostSubject: Re: White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children   White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 9:49 am

Joebert wrote:
Giada wrote:

Is that all they have to bitch about. Wait till they are back out on the street again.

You would think there would be more important things to worry about in the world.
Back to top Go down
BMG

BMG

Humor : Twisted
Number of posts : 2571
pennies : 2320
Rep : 79

PostSubject: Re: White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children   White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 11:14 am

>Jasmine Messiah, 8, says her Florida school doesn't offer vegan or vegetarian options for lunch.<

Messiah ?

Are we sure this child isnt one of Obama's.
Back to top Go down
Giada

Giada

PostSubject: Re: White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children   White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 12:11 pm

BMG wrote:
>Jasmine Messiah, 8, says her Florida school doesn't offer vegan or vegetarian options for lunch.<

Messiah ?

Could be, he be da King o da werl.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children   White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 4:18 pm

BMG wrote:

Messiah ?

we never know who the father is
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905

PostSubject: Re: White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children   White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 3:19 am

KK wrote:
BMG wrote:

Messiah ?

we never know who the father is

Isn't that the truth!
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children   White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 12:24 pm

Isn't that the truth![/quote]

as the joke goes, the biggest mystery in the ghetto is fathers day
Back to top Go down
Giada

Giada

PostSubject: Re: White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children   White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 9:43 pm

That's a joke? I thought it was true. lolFlag
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children   White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 12:23 pm

Giada wrote:
That's a joke? I thought it was true. lolFlag
truth is stranger than fiction
Back to top Go down
java

java

Number of posts : 3126
pennies : 2097
Rep : 58

PostSubject: Re: White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children   White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 12:42 pm

Maybe it's one of George Bush's kids?

cartwheel rolleyes
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children   White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 1:18 pm

looks more like one of angelina jolie's or madonna's
Back to top Go down
java

java

Number of posts : 3126
pennies : 2097
Rep : 58

PostSubject: Re: White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children   White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 6:29 pm

They're Jerry's kids! All kids are Jerry Lewis' kids.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children   White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 10:05 pm

do you live in our neighborhood? (you would have to live in our neighborhood to get it
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

PostSubject: Re: White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children   White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 3:53 am

KK wrote:
do you live in our neighborhood? (you would have to live in our neighborhood to get it

I don't live in your hood but I get it.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children   White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:

so you know our bucked toothed hillbilly neighbor with a ton of kids
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

PostSubject: Re: White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children   White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 12:55 am

KK wrote:
Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:

so you know our bucked toothed hillbilly neighbor with a ton of kids

Ours just moved out of this hood.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children   White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1