Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

Brains of Lonely People Work Differently

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Empty
PostSubject: Brains of Lonely People Work Differently   Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 1:01 pm

livescience.com – 2 hrs 1 min agoLonely people have less activity in a part of the brain that normally lights up in association with reward, scientists have found. It's not clear if social isolation diminishes the brain-reward response, however, or if people with less activity in that part of the brain tend toward loneliness.

More research will be need to sort out the findings, which come from a study of just 23 female college students. But the finding offers hope that scientists may improve their understanding of loneliness, a growing emotional problem in an increasingly scattered society and one known to raise the risks of several health problems.

The subjects were surveyed with standard questions to determine who felt socially isolated, or lonely, vs. those who did not. They then underwent fMRI brain scans while looking at photos of people enjoying themselves.

The ventral striatum - a region of the brain known from other research to light up in association with rewards such as food and money - was much less activated in the lonely group.

"Given their feelings of social isolation, lonely individuals may be left to find relative comfort in nonsocial rewards," said John Cacioppo, a professor of psychology at the University of Chicago.

Growing problem

About one if five Americans experience loneliness, Cacioppo said. And it is a growing problem in modern society in part because the average household size is decreasing. By 2010, 31 million Americans - roughly 10 percent of the population - will live alone, Cacioppo and his colleagues say.

Previous work has suggested it can be as detrimental to health as smoking, Cacioppo said. In his book, "Loneliness: Human Nature and the Need for Social Connection" (W.W. Norton, 2008), he presented evidence that loneliness is related to less blood flow through the body, poorer immune systems, increased levels of depression and a faster progression of Alzheimer's disease.

A 2006 study by a different research team, of people age 50 to 68, found that those who scored highest on measures of loneliness also had higher blood pressure, a major risk factor for heart disease. The potentially deadly health effect of loneliness accumulates gradually and faster as you get older, that study found.

Although loneliness may be influence brain activity, the research also suggests that activity in the ventral striatum may prompt feelings of loneliness, said Cacioppo's colleague Jean Decety, a professor of psychology and psychiatry at the university. "The study raises the intriguing possibility that loneliness may result from reduced reward-related activity in the ventral striatum in response to social rewards," Decety said.

The results are published in the current issue of the Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience. Cacioppo presented the findings today at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, in Chicago.

What to do

In his 2008 book, Cacioppo and co-author William Patrick, former science editor at Harvard University Press, argue that loneliness creates a feedback loop that reinforces social anxiety, fear and other negative feelings. Getting out of the loop requires first recognizing it and overcoming the fear related with connecting with others.

"The process begins in rediscovering those positive, physiological sensations that come during the simplest moments of human contact," Patrick said. "But that means overcoming the fear and reaching out."

"Lonely people feel a hunger," Cacioppo added. "The key is to realize that the solution lies not in being fed, but in cooking for and enjoying a meal with others."
Back to top Go down
java

java

Number of posts : 3126
pennies : 2097
Rep : 58

PostSubject: Re: Brains of Lonely People Work Differently   Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:23 pm

Well the anti-smoking nazis might not like me saying it, but I think loneliness must be a lot more unhealthier than smoking is.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Brains of Lonely People Work Differently   Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:38 pm

java wrote:
Well the anti-smoking nazis might not like me saying it, but I think loneliness must be a lot more unhealthier than smoking is.
unless you're a loner idunno
Back to top Go down
Wallstone

Wallstone

Hobbies : marine biology/architecture
Humor : You be the judge
Number of posts : 1000
pennies : 869
Rep : 41

PostSubject: Re: Brains of Lonely People Work Differently   Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:01 am

KK wrote:
java wrote:
or a lonely smoker
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Brains of Lonely People Work Differently   Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:14 am

Wallstone wrote:
KK wrote:
java wrote:
or a lonely smoker
when I was a kid I remember my neighbor used to smoke through his thracheotomy
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: Brains of Lonely People Work Differently   Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:26 am

Quote :
The subjects were surveyed with standard questions to determine who felt socially isolated, or lonely, vs. those who did not. They then underwent fMRI brain scans while looking at photos of people enjoying themselves.

The ventral striatum - a region of the brain known from other research to light up in association with rewards such as food and money - was much less activated in the lonely group.

lonely people do not like sex?

I see the problem .. in a society that uses sex to sell everything, lonely people just aren't motivated
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Brains of Lonely People Work Differently   Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:34 am

c/thru wrote:
Quote :

lonely people do not like sex?

I see the problem .. in a society that uses sex to sell everything, lonely people just aren't motivated
maybe they just had too much overload
Back to top Go down
Wallstone

Wallstone

PostSubject: Re: Brains of Lonely People Work Differently   Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:38 am

I think depression might also be a factor.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Brains of Lonely People Work Differently   Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 7:29 am

Wallstone wrote:
lack of self confidence as well
Back to top Go down
java

java

Number of posts : 3126
pennies : 2097
Rep : 58

PostSubject: Re: Brains of Lonely People Work Differently   Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 11:54 am

Everybody is different. Different strokes, for different foke's... coffee
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Blurts : smilies will inherit the earth
Hobbies : code
Humor : binding
Super Powers : early spambot detection Number of posts : 177
pennies : 10000095
Rep : 12

PostSubject: Re: Brains of Lonely People Work Differently   Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:04 pm

Wallstone wrote:

well, wouldn't you be depressed too if you couldn't like sex
Back to top Go down
http://cloud9.roflforum.net
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Brains of Lonely People Work Differently   Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 8:32 pm

well, wouldn't you be depressed too if you couldn't like sex[/quote]

that would be downright unamerican
Back to top Go down
Wallstone

Wallstone

PostSubject: Re: Brains of Lonely People Work Differently   Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 8:35 pm

KK wrote:
well, wouldn't you be depressed too if you couldn't like sex

that would be downright unamerican[/quote]
I only get depressed about sex if I have to pay for it. giggle
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Brains of Lonely People Work Differently   Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 9:03 pm

I only get depressed about sex if I have to pay for it. giggle[/quote]

don't they have a discount store for it or something?
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: Brains of Lonely People Work Differently   Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 12:07 am

Quote :
I only get depressed about sex if I have to pay for it.

Quote :

there are do-it-yourself manuals

( wow, that admin person actually talks )
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Brains of Lonely People Work Differently   Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 1:45 am

c/thru wrote:
Quote :

Quote :

I've always been a handyman kind of guy lol
Back to top Go down
Wallstone

Wallstone

PostSubject: Re: Brains of Lonely People Work Differently   Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 8:17 am

KK wrote:
c/thru wrote:
Quote :

Quote :

Never let the left hand know what the right hand is doing...
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Brains of Lonely People Work Differently   Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 10:25 am

wallstone wrote:
KK wrote:
Never let the left hand know what the right hand is doing...

i feel it's good to introduce a litle competition
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brains of Lonely People Work Differently   Brains of Lonely People Work Differently Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1