Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

Do your civic duty and burn lots of fossile fuels

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

Do your civic duty and burn lots of fossile fuels Empty
PostSubject: Do your civic duty and burn lots of fossile fuels   Do your civic duty and burn lots of fossile fuels Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:00 pm

Antarctic Meltdown Would Flood Washington, D.C.
… Washington, D.C., and other coastal U.S. cities could find themselves under several more feet of water than previously predicted if warming temperatures destroy the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, a new study based on a model predicts.

The West Antarctic Ice Sheet (WAIS) towers about 6,000 feet (1,800 meters) above sea level over a large section of Antarctica. It holds about 500,000 cubic miles (2.2 million cubic kilometers) of ice, about the same amount of ice contained in the Greenland Ice Sheet.

This vast swath of ice is the anchor for numerous glaciers that drain into the polar sea and is bounded by the Ross and Ronne Ice Shelves. Whether or when this ice sheet might melt is still very uncertain, but even a partial melt would have a bigger impact on some coastal areas than others.

The new research found that sea level rise would not be uniform around the globe, owing to odd gravitational effects and predicted shifts in the planet's rotation.

Collapse concern

Throughout hundreds of millions of years in Earth's past, polar ice caps have grown and receded in cycles lasting thousands or even hundreds of thousands of years. When caps melted, seas rose.

What's different today is that melting of ice at both poles is occurring faster than what has naturally occurred in the past.

Some scientists are worried that our current path of warming could cause the collapse of all or part of the WAIS over the coming decades or centuries. These worries have been further fueled by a recent study in the journal Nature that indicates that more of the WAIS is warming that was previously thought.

"The West Antarctic is fringed by ice shelves which act to stabilize the ice sheet - these shelves are sensitive to global warming, and if they break up, the ice sheet will have a lot less impediment to collapse," said co-author of the new study Jerry Mitrovica, of the University of Toronto and the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research.

In its most recent report, released in 2007, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) estimates that a full collapse of the ice sheet would raise sea levels by 16 feet (5 meters) globally.

Mitrovica and his colleagues say that this is an oversimplification, and that sea level rise will be higher than expected, and greater in some places than in others.

In particular, the IPCC estimate ignores three important effects of such a massive ice melt:

Gravity: Like planets and other cosmic bodies exert a gravitational pull on each other, huge ice sheets exert a gravitational pull on the nearby ocean, drawing water towards it. If an ice sheet melted, that pull would be gone, and water would move away. In the case of the WAIS, the net effect would be a fall in sea level within about 1,200 miles (2,000 km) of the ice sheet and a higher-than-expected rise in sea levels in the Northern Hemisphere, further away.
Rebound: The WAIS is called a marine-based ice sheet because the weight of all that ice has depressed the bedrock underneath to the point that most of it sits below sea level. If all, or even some, of that ice melts, the bedrock will rebound, pushing some of the water on top of it out into the ocean, further contributing to sea level rise.
Earth's rotation: A collapse of the WAIS would also shift the South Pole location of the Earth's rotation axis (an imaginary line running through the Earth from pole to pole -about 1,600 feet (500 meters) from its present location. This would shift water from the southern Atlantic and Pacific oceans northward toward North America and the southern Indian Ocean.

Mitrovica and his fellow researchers took these effects into account and came up with a new projection of what would happen across the world if the WAIS melted out. Their findings are detailed in the Feb. 6 issue of the journal Science.

"The net effect of all of these processes is that if the West Antarctic Ice Sheet collapses, the rise in sea levels around many coastal regions will be as much as 25 per cent more than expected, for a total of between 6 and 7 meters [20 to 23 feet] if the whole ice sheet melts," Mitrovica said. "That's a lot of additional water, particularly around such highly populated areas as Washington, D.C., New York City, and the California coastline."

Submerging threat

Six meters of sea level rise would eventually inundate the nation's capital, because even though it doesn't have an extensive coastline, it was originally a low-lying, swampy area connected to the Chesapeake Bay.

It would also put virtually all of south Florida and southern Louisiana underwater. The West Coast of North America, Europe and coastal areas around the Indian Ocean would all be inundated more than previously expected.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Do your civic duty and burn lots of fossile fuels   Do your civic duty and burn lots of fossile fuels Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:01 pm

that one way to clean out washington
Back to top Go down
Joebert

Joebert

Hobbies : Sleep/Photography
Humor : Seinfeld (show) has it all!
Super Powers : Faster than a speeding bulet...is that bad? Number of posts : 3905
pennies : 3262
Rep : 97

PostSubject: Re: Do your civic duty and burn lots of fossile fuels   Do your civic duty and burn lots of fossile fuels Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 2:06 am

KK wrote:

There's better ways but people like me that live on high ground shoul see our property vales go up a bit.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Do your civic duty and burn lots of fossile fuels   Do your civic duty and burn lots of fossile fuels Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:50 am

Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:

There's better ways but people like me that live on high ground shoul see our property vales go up a bit.
people know we need to elect the parties out of power but we are not united enough to do so
Back to top Go down
java

java

Number of posts : 3126
pennies : 2097
Rep : 58

PostSubject: Re: Do your civic duty and burn lots of fossile fuels   Do your civic duty and burn lots of fossile fuels Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 11:45 am

KK wrote:
Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:

people know we need to elect the parties out of power but we are not united enough to do so

Television and the media have failed us. We need other means of communications to break the two-party stranglehold. Pirate TV or something because the internet isn't big enough or inclusive enough yet. By the time it gets that big it will probably be too commercialized and co-opted, at least it seems to be going that way.
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Do your civic duty and burn lots of fossile fuels   Do your civic duty and burn lots of fossile fuels Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 1:59 pm

java wrote:
KK wrote:
Joebert wrote:
KK wrote:

Television and the media have failed us. We need other means of communications to break the two-party stranglehold. Pirate TV or something because the internet isn't big enough or inclusive enough yet. By the time it gets that big it will probably be too commercialized and co-opted, at least it seems to be going that way.
we do, we need grass roots again, we need to take a page out of the 60's. people united and voiced their opinions and it forced change. Civil rights, womens rights, the war, the right to be individuals and break away from the mold. we need to make our collective voices heard
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do your civic duty and burn lots of fossile fuels   Do your civic duty and burn lots of fossile fuels Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do your civic duty and burn lots of fossile fuels
Page 1 of 1