Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

News orgs, nonprofits to fact-check State of the Union address

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

News orgs, nonprofits to fact-check State of the Union address  Empty
PostSubject: News orgs, nonprofits to fact-check State of the Union address    News orgs, nonprofits to fact-check State of the Union address  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 1:24 pm

« on: Today at 12:22:47 pm » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i totally agree. let's bring things back to reality in real time. We have the tools and they should be used. when politicians tell us this is what they've done or what they are going to do, let's set the record straight immediately. pro and con. Politicians paint these rosey BS pictures of their accomplishments, and people believe them. But if we stop the BS in it's tracks people will wise up quickly.

Presidents make a lot of promises during the State of the Union address. For instance, Republicans and Democrats have pledged for decades to tackle energy independence, without significant progress. It's not at all uncommon, in other words, for such grand pronouncements — made in front of Congress and broadcast to the world — to sputter out in the execution.

Arianna Huffington, editor in chief of the Huffington Post, believes that real-time fact-checking could provide some much-needed context to the president's words and pinpoint where the rhetoric doesn't meet reality.

"One of the major things we need to bring in is accountability about what people are saying — politicians, journalists, everyone," Huffington told The Cutline. "The State of the Union seemed like a good place to start."

On Tuesday night, the Huffington Post is teaming up with National Journal, the Center for Public Integrity and the Sunlight Foundation to fact-check President the honorable President's address. The groups also plan to fact-check Rep. Paul Ryan's Republican response and Rep. Michele Bachmann's tea party response.

The Center for Public Integrity focuses on investigative journalism looking at public policy. The Sunlight Foundation focuses on using technology to make government more transparent. Both are nonpartisan nonprofits.

Huffington has talked before about how social media and new technology "have made it easier to expose the lies our leaders continue to tell." So amid all the coverage of State of the Union theatrics — who's sitting where or refusing to stand up — Huffington says she hopes to "move the focus to what is being said" and "bring some reality" to it.

The fact-checking site, using Sunlight's platform, Sunlight Live, will have four parts: a live feed of the speech; rotating widgets covering specific issues (i.e. Afghanistan, the deficit); a live blog of participants from the four organizations; and a Twitter feed (using the hashtag #sotufacts).

Ellen Miller, executive director of the Sunlight Foundation, said that the live widgets — first used during President the honorable President's bipartisan health care summit — provide the ability to instantly deliver facts regarding statements made by politicians. "We think of it as data-jamming public events," she said.

Last year, Miller's organization won a $10,000 Knight-Batten Innovation Award for Sunlight Live. She said Sunlight is still working on the platform but expects it to be available open source by midyear, allowing any news organization to use it.
Back to top Go down
Lady Snipe Dragon

Lady Snipe Dragon

Hobbies : Posting
Humor : None at all
Super Powers : Can find a smiley for most any occasion Number of posts : 901
pennies : 1009
Rep : 32

PostSubject: Re: News orgs, nonprofits to fact-check State of the Union address    News orgs, nonprofits to fact-check State of the Union address  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 5:14 pm

used to politicians didnt want to be in the news if it made them look bad..
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: News orgs, nonprofits to fact-check State of the Union address    News orgs, nonprofits to fact-check State of the Union address  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 1:33 pm

we just had a story run in my town where a gov official spent like $13,000 of tax money to make a glossy little brochure of all the accomplishments of his office while he was in charge....he had already announced his plans to vacate that position so he apparently wanted to leave us with his accolades....Thanks
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

PostSubject: Re: News orgs, nonprofits to fact-check State of the Union address    News orgs, nonprofits to fact-check State of the Union address  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 1:44 pm

c/thru wrote:
we just had a story run in my town where a gov official spent like $13,000 of tax money to make a glossy little brochure of all the accomplishments of his office while he was in charge....he had already announced his plans to vacate that position so he apparently wanted to leave us with his accolades....Thanks
stuff like that drives me nuts. Like patterson in NY. he had a few million in a discretionary account. While being faced with cutting teachers, police and firemen because of budget shortfalls he pissed away the discetionary funds on non essentials and extravagance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: News orgs, nonprofits to fact-check State of the Union address    News orgs, nonprofits to fact-check State of the Union address  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1