Cloud 9 Forumn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloud 9 Forumn

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY !!!

ARCHIVED FORUMN

ATTEND YOUR TROLLHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS OFFLINE...giggles

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
"Al Gore"   - Tango   7/4/10 4:56 pm
"I don't understand all the threads here."   -Alberta boy  12/01/2010 5:09 pm
"Wow..I did bad..and I usually do good..."    - Lady Snipe Dragon   11/26/2010  5:14 pm
"my hairspray helps protect me from evil thoughts" - Joe King   1/09/2010 9:17 am

"so i was right"   - KK     9/9/10 6:35 pm

"It makes me crazy but it keeps me sane. I think there's a name for that!"  - Giada       2/21/10  12:51 pm
"Guilty......and woke up with a shirt on I didn't recognize."   - BMG    8/24/10  5:57 am
"aww come on you guys quit posting"  - Joebert   9/9/10  2:49 am
the goblin quickly apologized for his strange lapses into intellectualism here   9/6/10  12:24 am
"I don't know who you are, but....I LOVE YOU!"  - Angelica   12/29/2010  4:24 pm
"lol.... lure me to picture threads"  - jjjamesjchrist    4/20/2010  9:04 pm
"I just don't understand most people."   - silversunpickup    9/7/10  4:36 pm
" ...me too neither then,"   - Jats    8/10/10 5:07 am

"Bet now you're sorry you asked "   - Edelweiss     7/19/10 11:32 am

Top Senate Republican joins push to stop earmarks

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
KK

KK

Super Powers : poastwhore Number of posts : 8316
pennies : 7853
Rep : 354

Top Senate Republican joins push to stop earmarks Empty
PostSubject: Top Senate Republican joins push to stop earmarks   Top Senate Republican joins push to stop earmarks Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 9:00 pm

doing what obama and the democrats promised to do, should have done but couldn't do.

WASHINGTON – Cementing a significant challenge to the ways of Congress, the top Republican in the Senate on Monday fell into line behind demands by House leaders and tea party activists for a moratorium on pork-barrel projects known as "earmarks."

Earmarking is the longtime Washington practice in which lawmakers insert money for home-state projects like road and bridge work into spending bills. Critics say that peppering most spending bills with hundreds or even thousands of such projects creates a go-along-get-along mindset that ensures that Washington spending goes unchecked.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, who has long defended the practice, said he's now heeding the message that voters sent in midterm elections that swept Democrats from power in the House. He said he can't accuse Democrats of ignoring the wishes of the American people and then be guilty of the same thing.

McConnell's move heads off a battle with conservative Republican senators who had signaled that they would force a vote Tuesday on banning the practice. That vote is now a formality.

"Nearly every day that the Senate's been in session for the past two years, I have come down to this spot and said that Democrats are ignoring the wishes of the American people," McConnell said in a surprise announcement from the Senate floor. "When it comes to earmarks, I won't be guilty of the same thing."

House GOP leaders had already endorsed a ban on earmarking, and McConnell's move signaled a recognition that earmarks were on their way out.

McConnell, a 26-year veteran of the Senate and longtime member of the Appropriations Committee, had argued in the past that banning earmarks would shift too much power to President Barack Obama and wouldn't save taxpayers any money.

"I know the good that has come from the projects I have helped support throughout my state. I don't apologize for them," he said. "But there is simply no doubt that the abuse of this practice has caused Americans to view it as a symbol of the waste and the out-of-control spending that every Republican in Washington is determined to fight."

Obama endorsed an earmark ban in his Saturday radio and Internet address, saying that "in these challenging days, we can't afford" them.

Just hours before McConnell spoke, Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., promoted the ban in remarks to tea party activists at a Capitol rally.

"Tomorrow, the Republicans in the Senate are going to start answering that question: Have we learned our lesson? Are we going to go a different way?" DeMint said. "If the Senate Republicans fail to pass a ban on earmarks tomorrow, obviously they have not gotten the message."

McConnell's move also forestalls a possible fight with the House, where Speaker-to-be John Boehner, R-Ohio, poised to become the most powerful Republican in Washington, had put people on notice that there won't be any earmarks in spending bills.

"House and Senate Republican leaders are listening to the American people and are united in support of an earmark ban. "This is a strong first step — though only a first step — towards making the tough choices required to get our country back on track."

McConnell's move came as a relief to colleagues caught in the middle of a behind-the-scenes battle between Senate traditionalists and tea party favorites like DeMint and Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., who have joined with Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., in a longtime battle — and thus far a losing one — against the bipartisan practice of earmarking.

Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., who voluntarily gave up earmarking last year, praised the move.

"That's great," Corker said. "Sounds like the issue is behind us."

All but a few of the 13-member GOP freshman class made campaign pledges that they wouldn't seek earmarks. But some of them were reluctant to get caught in the middle between DeMint and McConnell on whether they would support DeMint's proposal for a ban on earmarks in the session of Congress that starts in January.

It also was not lost on incumbents that among the new members of the class is Mike Lee, a Utah Republican who defeated Sen. Robert Bennett in state party caucuses earlier this year that were dominated by tea party activists.

Coburn made waves Monday in an interview with the conservative Weekly Standard in which he endorsed future primary challenges of Republicans who partake in earmarking.

McConnell said most earmarks have merit, such as a project he sponsored to clean up the Bluegrass Army Depot, "which houses some of the deadliest materials and chemical weapons on earth." His success in sending money home to Kentucky played a role in his 2008 re-election bid.

But earmarks have become larger-than-life symbols of wasteful Washington spending, such as the $200 million-plus "Bridge to Nowhere" in Alaska, a project that was later canceled.

Earmarks also are blamed for a "pay to play" culture in which lobbyists and business executives seeking earmarks lubricate the system with campaign contributions.

Back to top Go down
Angelica

Angelica

Number of posts : 168
pennies : 207
Rep : 23

PostSubject: Re: Top Senate Republican joins push to stop earmarks   Top Senate Republican joins push to stop earmarks Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 6:32 pm

KK wrote:

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, who has long defended the practice, said he's now heeding the message that voters sent in midterm elections that swept Democrats from power in the House. He said he can't accuse Democrats of ignoring the wishes of the American people and then be guilty of the same thing.

Hahahaha...now those old Repugs, who lived and died by their earmarks (see above), will really need to work for their salary!

Here's a great game: Let's make a list of who will be the first Senator to cave in...I think it will be McConnell. And he will use some bullshit excuse to do it too!
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Top Senate Republican joins push to stop earmarks   Top Senate Republican joins push to stop earmarks Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Angelica wrote:
KK wrote:

Hahahaha...now those old Repugs, who lived and died by their earmarks (see above), will really need to work for their salary!

Here's a great game: Let's make a list of who will be the first Senator to cave in...I think it will be McConnell. And he will use some bullshit excuse to do it too!
at least they are willing to work for their salaries, something the democrats with a super majority were never willing to do.
Back to top Go down
Angelica

Angelica

Number of posts : 168
pennies : 207
Rep : 23

PostSubject: Re: Top Senate Republican joins push to stop earmarks   Top Senate Republican joins push to stop earmarks Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 4:32 pm

KK wrote:
Angelica wrote:
KK wrote:

at least they are willing to work for their salaries, something the democrats with a super majority were never willing to do.

Hmmm, I think the ones that took more advantage of earmarks were Repugs..but nevertheless, they both did, and they did it for the betterment of their state...unless it was that "bridge to nowhere" in Alaska!
Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Top Senate Republican joins push to stop earmarks   Top Senate Republican joins push to stop earmarks Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 10:34 pm

Angelica wrote:
KK wrote:
Angelica wrote:
KK wrote:

Hmmm, I think the ones that took more advantage of earmarks were Repugs..but nevertheless, they both did, and they did it for the betterment of their state...unless it was that "bridge to nowhere" in Alaska!
ah the old bridge to nowhere. Something Sarah looked into but never actually took money for. If they were for the betterment of their state they might not be such a big deal. but most are for pet projects or returned favors. let each request for federal funding stand on it's own merit rather than be bundled in with something else.
Back to top Go down
c/thru

c/thru

Blurts : What is this decade called ?
Hobbies : Freedom Tracker
Humor : floating under a delicate layer of apathy
Super Powers : can turn water into ice Number of posts : 3049
pennies : 3303
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: Top Senate Republican joins push to stop earmarks   Top Senate Republican joins push to stop earmarks Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 11:57 am

earmarkers, lobbyists ...and definitely market Speculators !!! these are some of the worst evil-doers

Back to top Go down
KK

KK

PostSubject: Re: Top Senate Republican joins push to stop earmarks   Top Senate Republican joins push to stop earmarks Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 9:00 pm

c/thru wrote:
earmarkers, lobbyists ...and definitely market Speculators !!! these are some of the worst evil-doers

and they run washington. any wonder why it is such a mess
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Senate Republican joins push to stop earmarks   Top Senate Republican joins push to stop earmarks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1